New Plaster ? + Test kit results

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
Plaster was applied 1 week ago. Been following the start up procedure - almost. I had very high acid demand for only 3-4 days until I brought my CYA and TA up a bit. Hardly any plaster dust seen. Cleaned the filter every day for the first 3-4 days and saw very little plaster dust, but odd little plaster balls that looked like snow flakes. Could have been plastic from the pvc pipes as plumber was not careful to remove bits from pipe.

My PB gave me a Taylor K-2005 with the extra powder and liquid for FAS-DPD testing. The bottles fit perfectly in the 2005 kit, BTW.

Ch = 13 (PB added too much, but I did have a bit of algea the second day)
CYA = 50 (will bring this up to 70 this weekend)
TA = 40 (will bring up to 80 this weekend)
CH = 180
PH = 7.6 (not rising as much as I expected)
Salt = 0 (can add salt in 3 more weeks)

My question: Should I raise the CH now, or will it naturally increase as the plaster finishes curing?

lborne said:
My question: Should I raise the CH now, or will it naturally increase as the plaster finishes curing?
I presume that your PB added liquid chlorine and not Cal-Hypo or something else to get to 13 ppm. (Be sure your SWG is either OFF or set to 0% (same thing); no reason to get it working until salt has been added.) I can't think of any reason to delay adjustment of Calcium Hardness to target level -- it's almost there now. Unless you're using a chlorine compound that includes calcium, why not add some calcium chloride to push it past 200ppm? I recall that I needed to add calcium quite a bit the first year of operation, but almost none since. Hope that helps.

Just keep an eye on the CH for a while, if after say a month or two it's not budging then you'd want to add a little bit. It's like the roach motel; calcium goes it but it doesn't come out. Don't want to overdo it.
--paulr

I saw this at Pool School:
pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

And I read this about brushes:

What are the differences between the Nylon, Nylon/Wire, & all-Wire brushes?
Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!)
Combo brushes are for older plaster.
All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)
Newer plaster is really too soft for anything other than a nylon brush.

Johnny B said:
What are the differences between the Nylon, Nylon/Wire, & all-Wire brushes?
Since startup I've been using the same cheap nylon brush delivered with my pool opening kit, with good result. I'm not at all sure that brandishing a 30" wide diamond-tipped carbide Monster brush (a bit exaggerated) is going to scare away any autotrophic organism (like algae) that is present, has available food, a desire to grow, a warm environment and no chlorine in sight. :colors:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.