Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove salt cell for winter or not

1. Back To Top    #1

Remove salt cell for winter or not

I have a Goldline / AquaLogic T-CELL-15, and I'm wondering if I should remove it and store it inside when I close everything down and winterize? My neighbor does this, but the AquaLogic manual doesn't say you need to remove it. If it will increase the life of the cell, I want to remove it. If not, I'd be fine leaving it in place to avoid opening 2 holes in the pipes for critters to crawl into.

Thanks,
    Phillip
    25k gal IG freeform pool, gunite/plaster, built in 2006; Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/ T-CELL-15 SWG; Sta-Rite S8M150 cartridge filter; Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater; Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remove salt cell for winter or not

Once the water reaches a certain temp (I can't remember how low that is though!) the cell will "shut down" anyway, so it shouldn't have any affect on life expectancy. The life expectancy is based on the cycle times that the unit runs, so cold water just running through it will not hurt anything.

Now if you are afraid that it could freeze and crack, that's another story!

Bruce

3. Back To Top    #3

I would leave it in place. As long as the system is properly winterized, it is just fine to leave the cell in place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason, why do you say to leave it? I've been thinking of bringing mine inside for the water and capping off the pipes outside. We have very harsh winters here and it seems like it would be better to take it inside (?)
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It is rather simple to remove, so I would remove it for the winter. I see JasonLion's point but for something that is so simple to remove why expose it to freezing temperatures and thaws if it doesn't have to be.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

How do you plan to cap the pipes? My neighbor puts rags or something in the openings, but I think I'd rather wrap them with something and zip-tie them. I don't want anything accidentally getting away from me in the pipes.
    25k gal IG freeform pool, gunite/plaster, built in 2006; Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/ T-CELL-15 SWG; Sta-Rite S8M150 cartridge filter; Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater; Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

rubber plugs?
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp