Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: safe water temp. to end bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1
    some cornfield in central illinois

safe water temp. to end bleach?

draining the pool as we speak. i drain it to about 8" to 10" below the return. my question is this - at what water temp will i not have to worry about anything growing in there? i plan to keep pouring bleach in the water unitll it gets cold enough to not have to worry about it.
    also... i plan to empty the sand filter to inspect the laterals (i was having some filtering problems and want to make sure one isn't broke or something). can i save the sand and re-use it next year (it was new sand at the start of this season)? i'm assuming i can, but just wanted the advice of my pool gurus.
    as this may be my last post of the season, i just wanted to thank you all for the great advice i've gotten here this past pool season. i tell everyone i know who owns a pool about this forum. you guys & gals are the best!!!
    talk to y'all in the spring when i re-order test chemicals and start this whole crazy pool roller-coaster all over again.
    delfargo out.
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: safe water temp. to end bleach?

Algae will grow even in ice, but very very slowly.

The general consensus is that when you hit 50*F the growth slows so much you can safely stop adding bleach. Many here will do a final shock, maybe add polyquat 60, and close for winter.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Solon, Iowa

Re: safe water temp. to end bleach?

I don't think that you want to be adding chemicals without a running pump unless you can circulate the water another way.

I keep everything hooked up and running until the water temp hits the 50's. Then I vacuum, balance the chemicals, shock, drain to 6 inches below the return, drain/remove pump and selected plumbing bits, cover and call it a season. Opened to a pretty clean/clear pool this season.
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller