Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-Plaster or Rebuil

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-Plaster or Rebuil

Do concrete pool shells have a lifespan, should the shell be demolished and rebuilt if there is no history of problems with cracking?

The pool is at a small condominium project in Kauai, Hawaii. It was built in the late 60's early 70's timeframe. It was re-plastered in 1992. There is a cold joint where the deep end meets the shallow end that was sealed before the re-plastering. Some of the plaster has come off so owners are trying to decide whether to re-plaster again or if it is time to have the shell demolished and rebuilt. Other than the cold joint, there is no history of problems with cracks in the shell. If the shell is in good condition should we be concerned with it's age or other issues?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

H2Onut

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-Plaster or Rebuil

I'm sure some of the more experienced folks with concrete pools will chime in but if there's no issues with the base structure, I see no reason to demolish it. I'd think it just needs a good replastering job.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Should be no reason to demo if it appears structurally sound. I would assume ( ) that it is built in volcanic soil, which should be pretty stable. Once the pool is drained and prepped for re-plaster it could be looked at to see if there are any structural concerns. If you can't see anything then I would think you'd be fine.

Bruce

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by H2Onut
    Do concrete pool shells have a lifespan, should the shell be demolished and rebuilt if there is no history of problems with cracking?

The pool is at a small condominium project in Kauai, Hawaii.
    Welcome waternut... er H2Onut, to TFP!

I have one question: Is this condo located on the island's south shore? Poipu?

If yes, please tell the owners to wait until next year on any planned replastering or demolition (I'm vacationing there at the end of November and will not be pleased if there is no pool available.)
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009