Just bought a house in Phoenix, some questions.

Apr 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I just bought a house in Phoenix and have some questions regarding the pool. They previous house I lived in was a rental and had a pool. So I'm familiar with the upkeep of the pool. But the pool in the new house is different.

Apparently it's a lagoon style pool. The weird thing is that there is no skimmer like the last pool. The vacuum hose for the new pool just plugs into a water intake inside the pool all the wall. And there is a clean out basket over by the pump. But there is no skimmer with a skimmer basket or anything. So I can't just run a skimmer to get the fine particles of debris off the surface of the water. Is this normal?

My other question is: the in take for the vacuum hose under the water has a closing flapper type of thing on hinges that closes the hole when the hose isn't plugged into it. If I remove the hose and turn on the filter/pump (so the waterfall and sprinkler run) will it damage the system. It appears to work with the flap closed because water does come out of the waterfall and sprinkler. This in take valve thing appears to be the only place where water is pumped from the pool and through the filter system.

Can anybody provide some insight?

Thanks.

Any main drains in the floor of the pool or wall penetrations with covers?

There is only a limited amount of water that a wall fitting for the pool vac can take in, and I would assume (hope!) that there are other intake sources that you have not seen yet.

Weird about no skimmer, but stuff happens....

Bruce

So the lack of a skimmer would say that the pool pump is sucking from the main drain and the vac line, with a 3 way valve allowing control of suction between the two.

Maybe the back yard gets little surface debris and the previous H/O decided against a skimmer and used a leaf bag for whatever little surface debris got in the pool. That way he/she didn't have to see an ugly (!) skimmer in the deck or worry about it down the line. I'll bet the surrounding area looks nice and uniform without it :cool:

There really is no rule that you have to have a skimmer, although it is the norm (think of alot of vanishing edge pools; there are often no skimmers on them as the edge is the skimmer!).

Congrats on the new place :cheers:

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.