Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Drain Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Drain Cover

There are three screws that hold the pool drain cover in place, somehow two of them came out and now the cover is sorta floating at the deep end of the pool but still attached by the one remaining screw. Is there a way to reattach these screws by 1) without draining the pool and 2) without donning scuba gear? The automatic floor cleaner gets stuck in the drain and really doesn't help the cleaning of the floor.

Thanks in advance.
    20x46 Vinyl Pool, 34,500 gallons, 1.5 HP Jacuzzi Magnum Pump, 350lb Sand Filter,
    TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Pool Drain Cover

Have you ever seen a holding screwdriver. They make both flat and phillips. I'd take one and tape to the end of a equipment pole and secure a screw to it and try to get it back in place and screw it down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, California USA

Re: Pool Drain Cover

What temperature is your pool?

If the water is still temperate (say, 70 degrees F. or higher) you might be able to screw the plate on without an extension -- by taking a few deep breaths, diving to move the screw a turn or two, then repeating. No polar bear, I braved 65 Degree water last October to do just what I described, in 6.5 feet of water. (My backup plan was to hire my next door neighbor's teenage son for $20.00!)
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009