Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Builder used too much salt...

1. Back To Top    #1

Builder used too much salt...

Okay

So our pool with its new RIver Rok liner was 2 weeks and 2 days old when our contractor decided to dump in 550 pounds of salt. Our pool is probably 10,000 gallons. This is toooo much salt! It was in the water for approx 2 weeks until I bought some test strips and realized his mistake.

My question.... I presume too much salt can stain the new aggregate liner. What will that look like? Our river rok liner does have areas of differing "color" but how do I differentiate the "break in" of the river rok versus areas that may be damaged by his actions?

Any thoughts or photos would be greatly appreciated.
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Builder used too much salt...

By the way, the pool chemistry is now correct using the TFP-100 test kit and number match the recommended guidelines established here at this board.

10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

3. Back To Top    #3

It's OK

Salt isn't going to hurt a vinyl liner (It's 'plastered' pools that get harmed by salt too soon )

Does your SWCG unit show 'high salt' and refuse to generate? If not, you have no problem
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Never mind... sorry.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Eh? River Rok seems to be categorized as a plaster/pebbletec type finish, according to maybe a half-dozen sites I peeked at. I think OP's use of "liner" might have been misleading?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

PaulR,

I think you're on to something. The original poster had said:

My question.... I presume too much salt can stain the new aggregate liner
    He specifically used the word "aggregate".
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

7. Back To Top    #7

I was thinking the same thing in another post he made with pics and then came here and saw he used the word *liner* and then I deleted my message because I *thought* I was wrong.

I think it would help if the OP would clarify his signature by adding his pool surface...

I should have went with my gut though and left my message.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry?

Does the term "liner" automatically mean vinyl? My original question stated River Rok liner, i.e., river rok is an aggregate "liner". SOrry, didn't mean to confuse. It is an aggregate/plaster ... um... finish? liner? LOL.

9. Back To Top    #9

"Liner" pretty much automatically means vinyl, at least around here. What you have is a "finish" or "surface." And for pool-chemistry purposes, it counts as plaster.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

10. Back To Top    #10

Aggregate innerds...

I'm sorry but that is just funny! It will do.

11. Back To Top    #11

Heh....

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    "Liner" pretty much automatically means vinyl, at least around here. What you have is a "finish" or "surface." And for pool-chemistry purposes, it counts as plaster.
    --paulr
    Understood, and have always used chemistry for aggregate. I simply thought that the term "liner" meant any liner for the pool, i.e., vinyl, aggregate, etc....