Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moral dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Moral dilemma

Been reading up on BBB and Pool School, just got a new IC20 generator and I think I have everything down. The pool is crystal clear thanks to all the advice I've received. All the replies/responses I've gotten from other TFP members has been truly heartening.
    Here's the problem:
    We've had the same pool guy since day one and he's done an awesome job. Always on time, always available on the phone, very friendly, etc, BUT he charges $100 a month for a weekly service (no charge for chemicals)
    How do I go about letting him go, assuming I'm as on top of all this as I think I am? Even in the worse case scenario, I can't imagine I'd EVER spend $100 in a month even adding in gasoline, travel time to get supplies, etc., once I go it alone. Is there a FAQ that covers the tactful 'downsizing' of your pool guy, especially if you're a non-confrontational sort like me?

1) 13k gallons SWG ,cartridge filter (Pentair 420), IG, plaster, 150gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: Moral dilemma

No FAQ that I'm aware of, but I'd probably go the route of apologizing but blaming it on the current economic situation. Something like "I'm having to cut back on some things, and I'm sorry but the weekly pool service is going to have to be one of them." You should promise to call him if you need help with anything. And obviously with such an attentive guy, you actually should call him if you need help with anything! Maybe even make a point of it a couple months down the road.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

I agree with Paul - and honestly he shouldn't be that surprised - many people are cutting their service because of the economy - I can't tell you how many posts I've read this year stating exactly that. I would think he would understand - of course he won't like it but that's the reality of our world today....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hillsborough, NC

Sounds like you'll still use him if you have any big issues come up, and weekly service is often just a loss-leader in order to get those service jobs. Let him know he's done great work, you'll call him "as-needed", and then blame your wife for asking you to do more work to save money.

5. Back To Top    #5

S. California

I would offer to pay him one month's severance if you are able as an added act of kindness.
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner