Which one to use?

Jul 13, 2007
First..I realize the subject is wide open to individual preference so I will use the fact that I am a brand new poster as an excuse. I will be starting a pool in a couple of weeks and here are the specifics:

16x24x42 IG vinly grecian true-L
33K gallons (according to spec sheet?)

Contractor is installing pentair products but I am looking for more features than the intellichlor. Fortunately he is allowing me to provide the system of my choice and he will install it. So....I am open to suggestions. I am leaning toward an autopilot digital based on some research. I like the way the system communicates and accounts for temperature. I am in OK where the summers are hot (and wet this year) and the winters can be cold. We plan on keeping the pool open this first winter and I like the autopilot freeze control. There is a local pool company (not my builders) who is an authorized dealer should I have any problems. However, I am by no means an expert and I am concerned that there might be a better option I am overlooking. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rockyboy in OK

The AutoPilot Digital is a wonderful system. There are some less expensive systems that work quite well, but the AutoPilot Digital has some features (text readout, temperature compensation) that put it in front of the pack. Plus Poolsean works for AutoPilot and is often around on this forum to answer questions.

just wondering how difficult the system is to wire and calibrate? I do not plan on doing either myself and he did say that he had never heard of the system but would install if I would provide it. That makes me wonder if he can get the job done. I suppose that I could pay the local dealer to come out and set me up if all else fails but I suspect that I would pay a royal premium since I did not go with their company for the pool!

It is all fairly standard, any pro should be able to handle it easily. There is physical mounting of the control unit, electrical wiring, and plumbing in the manifold. All of these are nearly the same with any brand, the dimensions vary but that is usually trivial (unless space is very very tight).

Assuming a 34K gallon pool, can I get a recommendation on which autopilot digital to purchase. I had heard that oversizing is a good idea as the spec is 100% output. Is the DIG-60 overkill? Also, any suggestions on where to purchase on the inernet?

you should always oversize when choosing a chlorine generator.
We always recommend our customers next model up, because it will allow them to run their pump less, hence save on the electricity costs, plus your cell will enjoy longer life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.