What are you doing when the Summer Season Changes?

Casey

TFP Expert
Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2007
SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
*SIGH*

It's that time again to close the pool and get on with Ole Man Winter.

The pool has been so cold and clocked in at a brisk 66* this morning. I figured it's time to closer down so I took my steps out today. I even managed to crack my handrail at the base of the first step. :rant:

I can't believe Summer is basically over already here in the North East... least for me it is. One good thing about it is buck season starts on Nov. 30th and I'm gonna shoot me a big one! :mrgreen: I can't wait! It's my first year and I'm going with my dad! :cool:

I need to start getting mine closed up also. We usually don't close the pool until the end of Sept., but it's been so cool and the water is below 70 degs. So I'll work on getting it cleaned and string the new winter cover. Hopefully get my dad out here to help me get the cover on this week. Not looking forward to all the leaves (I have 13 oaks, 2 maples and 5 others), it takes me about a month to get them all piled and burned or spread in the field after it's picked. Our firearm season starts first weekend in Nov. with 2 seasons, first and last part of Nov. We will be going the first season this year. I wish you luck, Casey with the hunting!

We usually keep the pool open until mid-to-end-October. Too cold for humans but the dogs still enjoy it. Their lips don't turn blue until just about the time I worry about the plumbing freezing during the day when the pump isn't running.

With our system of weighing down the steps we don't have to get in the water to take the steps out so water temp isn't an issue. Once they're out we brush, we add a bunch of chlorine, we run the pump for 24 hours, hoping the skimmer sock will catch what crud there might be. I'll vacuum if I really have to but boy howdi, filling the vac hose with water can get chilly right about then.

For now we're doing autumn landscaping chores. Today we spread three yards of mulch around the foundation plantings. I planted some mums and my husband is busy filling holes the dogs have dug in the lawns and reseeding patches where we had to kill some unknown spreading weed. There are shrubs to be pruned and trees to be trimmed back from the fence line to keep the neighbors happy.

And so, slowly, we segue into winter. I live by my grandfather's words: "After Christmas the days start getting longer again." I can make it to Christmas. By January the seed catalogs start arriving in the mail which always cheers me up and if we have a rainy February the ice begins to break up in the pool and that really gives me hope.

Casey doesn't like to swim without a buddy or two and that's okay with me. I don't really want her in there when no ones with her and she's okay with that. :-D We have a large Pin Oak and a Maple tree within 20 ft of the pool and I don't feel like scooping leaves til October.

Yeah, it's pretty much over for us.

Thanks Mona. I'm jealous, your season starts sooner! :mrgreen: I'm going with a 243 this year. Dad has equipped me and ds <14, his first year too>. Ds get's the 35 Marlin that dad has owned since he was 14. I love that gun and told ds, I'll trade ya! He said no. :( Okay. I tried. :lol:

I'm going to buy me a nice Bow for my birthday. I love buying myself gifts. :mrgreen: I always get what I want! :whoot: I'm going to practice, practice, practice and go out with it for archery deer in 2010. :cool:

Good Luck to you too! We'll have to start a new thread and post pics when we get something!

I am soooo happy to finally be in that very exclusive club that does not close their pools down! Believe me I wasn't always in this club so I know what you guys are going through.

I was in the pool today watching the Colts and Giants!! And I must say, watching the Superbowl from the pool spa is the snizzle :party: :party:

Unfortunately, we still have a northern compound that my dear wife has to reside in most of the year so I do have to pay my dues and head up to freeze my tookiss off once in a while. At least I can't beat the company. I'll be keeping busy finishing off the basement while wifey does the 7 to 6:30 grind. Keeps me out of trouble and that's not fun at all. I can't stay up there too long, the pool might need some tending to :mrgreen:

I don't ever plan on moving north again but if I did I don't think I would have a pool that I could not use for at least 6 months. That's just me.

It doesn't freeze down here and last year I didn't close my pool persay, I just ran the pump 8-12 hours while putting in the chemicals. This year, I dunno what I will do since I converted back to bleach. Maybe the same? Our water temp is a balmy 73 still, but we have 75-80 degree days still. It's the nights that get chilly!

I'm not sure I like the whole "winter" season itself. Too cold for me. Although this year we DO have a fire pit so we can still enjoy our outdoor oasis. I'm not sure if anyone will join me when the temperatures dip to the lower 40's, but to heck with them! If I can't be in my pool, I'll be close...by the fire!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.