Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing-- Do I need a pillow?

1. Back To Top    #1

closing-- Do I need a pillow?

Hey I am getting ready to close.

I put a solid cover on. Do I really need one of those pillows? They seem to break each year and not do such a great job. Would I be better off to put my money into getting a good cover pump to keep the water from collecting on top?

~15,700gal~ 18x33 AG~Hayward DE filter~converted using BBB in Oct. '07~

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: closing-- Do I need a pillow?

It's, of course, your choice

I like them because they force the water to the outer edge of the pool for easier pumping off and let you scoop the accumulated leaves & debris off the cover (YES! you are supposed to keep all but ~1" of water off the cover AND clean off the leaves, etc. ) ... Just because the pool is closed doesn't mean that you don't have to do a little maintenance during the winter

The pillows, which are ~ inexpensive, serve 2 functions : 1) they push the water and debris to the edge to make removal easier 2) they keep a good bit of stress off the top of the pool wall, which is worth the cost - even if you have to replace it every year
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)