Basic questions about Gizmos and plugs

What is the concept behind a gizmo? Should I buy one and use it instead of the old rubber plugs the previous owner left? What's its advantage?

And how do I work those rubber plugs? I'm guessing I loosen the screw, plug the plug into the skimmer or return jet, and then tighten the wing nut. Is this to ensure they don't fall out? How tight should I turn the screws?

a gizzmo is just a plug for the skimmer in itself but the hollow bottle design is made to absorb the compression of ice during freezing temps. In other words the gizzmo takes a beating as opposed to the skimmer itself.

For rubber plugs, I don't use them unless I have to. I like to use a SP1022C plug unless it can't be used (no threads)

Rubber Plugs...Tighten the plug hand tight and then a half turn with pliers, you should make sure the wing nut is in a vertical position after tightening to lessen the possibility of ice pulling the plug out of the wall (less area for the ice to grab onto)

X-PertPool said:
a gizzmo is just a plug for the skimmer in itself but the hollow bottle design is made to absorb the compression of ice during freezing temps. In other words the gizzmo takes a beating as opposed to the skimmer itself.

Oh, I see. I guess that's a good idea. Maybe that's way the PB left the empty jug of antifreeze in the skimmer when he closed it last year. I knew there was a simple explanation. Thanks!

Why don't you like using rubber plugs? Is it that you prefer something that screws in?

I use rubber plugs, but I only use them when others can't be used. Since the rubber plugs expand when you tighten them it is possible for them to pop out of place and also the stems on plugs sometimes leak when testing (little bubbles come from the stem area). In cases where we can't use a gizzmo in a skimmer we use a rubber plug and for expansion we use a bottle of antifreeze with rocks inside to make sure it sinks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.