Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cooling alternatives for pool water

1. Back To Top    #1
    Houston, Texas

cooling alternatives for pool water

I was curious, and I hope some of the more thermodynamically educated among us could answer this question I have been pondering this afternoon. Does shading the sides of an above ground pool lessen the heat gain in the water?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: cooling alternatives for pool water

Yes, but not by very much. Nearly all of the heat exchange is through the surface of the water, with sunlight and evaporation providing the primary heating and cooling effects respectively.

The simplest way to cool a pool is to install a small fountain of some kind. Many people build something simple to attach to the return to divert some or all of the water into a fountain. The increased evaporation from the fountain will cool the pool down. For more dramatic cooling you can use solar panels run at night or a swamp cooler (for example these).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School