TF Testkit Questions

May 19, 2009
1. After adding powder and titrating the sample to colourless with my TF testkit the sample somehow turns back to pink after 1 - 2 minutes is this normal? and why?

2. I borrowed a photometer from my neighbour reading came out to be Cl 2.5 ppm and for the test done with my TF testkit my reading came to be Cl 6.0 ppm, which of the readings should i believe?

If it's turning back immediately after turning clear then you need to add more drops of 0871 till it stays clear for at least 30 seconds. Then you have time to add the 5 drops of 0003.

If the test kits are strip based they're not accurate. I had discrepancies between strips from the same bottle before I started using the TF-100. Using different types of tests is kinda like a man with two watches. He never knows what time it is. :mrgreen:

Im using the TF testkit for my FCL titration i just dont know when i should start my CCL titration since the solution turns back into pink after 10 secs.

I wonder if TF pool store sells the FCL powder in larger 500 g buckets im using up mine quite quickly.

Something doesn't sound right here.

Please give us the reagent numbers off your containers. (i.e. R-0870, R-0003, etc.) The FAS/DPD powder comes in 10 gram containers. I've had mine a good while and am just now running out. You use more if you're fighting Algae but a double kit should be more than enough.

Are you sure you are using the little scoop end, and not the flat-handle end?

If the solution stays clear and then turns pink after 1-2 minutes as your post above states, that's normal.

If the solution turns pink after 10 seconds, I suppose it's possible that you may be adding too much powder...and that's interfering with the FC results. Especially if you are using the wrong end of the scoop. Perhaps that is what is interfering with the results. The powder should last you more than a season, unless you are testing FC very often like with a Baq conversion or dealing with a green swamp....

Repeat the test, make sure you are using the correct end, and as Bama said, it has to stay clear for a full 30 seconds or you add more r-0871.

Right so as long as the test sample stays colourless for a full 30 secs i can carry on with my CCL test?

Thanks for the tips, i guess i might have been using the wrong side of the scoop :p .

I am trying to fight algae so im testing every 1 -2 hrs, btw is there anything i can do to my swamp wev got a typhoon heading towards us and i dont want to waste all effort iv put in..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.