How to lower TA?

From the Pool Calculator, what does this mean? "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH." Put acid in the pool and then make the kids splash around for hours? Just kidding!

My pH is currently around 7.8 - 7.9 with TA 120-130. I'm slowly working the pH down with sodium bisulfate (plan to start using muriatic acid in lieu of sodium bisulfate soon), but eventually I think I'd like to get the TA down to what you guys recommend for SWGs at the Pool School. Can you get the TA down independent of the pH? I'm afraid I know the answer, but it sure would be easy if each component was independently adjustable. :) I'm just an elec engineer, not a chemist, so please forgive me.

Thanks,
Phillip

1. Lower pH with muriatic....TA lowers also

2. Raise pH with 20 Mule tem Borax.....TA doesn't move much

3. Lower TA with Aeration/acid procedure in Pool School.......pH will end up where it started.

4. Raise TA with Baking Soda......pH will remain relatively stable

Yeah, add Muriatic acid and then let kids do cannonballs, not really, not sure you want them in when pH starts at 7.2 (let's hear from pros on that).... actually better to run a waterfall or spillover spa if you have it. Last time I did it I ran the bubbles in the spa for 30 min and let the pool circulate through the spa for the night. Earlier times I'd run the waterfall but the waterfall needs sealing to stop the sand falling off it so I don't want to do that one now.

You can search here and see the aerators that others have used. Anything from a DIY fountain hooked to a return in the pool to running an aircompressor line to the pool to get a strong bubbling action.

duraleigh said:
1. Lower pH with muriatic....TA lowers also
2. Raise pH with 20 Mule tem Borax.....TA doesn't move much
3. Lower TA with Aeration/acid procedure in Pool School.......pH will end up where it started.
4. Raise TA with Baking Soda......pH will remain relatively stable
Are you implying a 4-step process? If the pH and TA drop with step 1 and the pH goes back up after step 2, why do I need steps 3 and 4? Isn't it mission accomplished after step 2?

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.