Should I add CYA or is it a waste?

dannyboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2008
Denver, Colorado
I know it's not normally a waste but here in Colorado, we have about 3/4 weeks left of the pool. My CYA is down to zero (I'll get better at testing that one next year but seemed to go through a load of CYA test an thought it was kinda expensive for 3/4 tests per bottle) and the pool calculator tells me to add 8lbs to my 25k inground pool.
My question really is - If I put 8 lbs of CYA in ($30) to bring it up to 40, will it be gone by the time I re-open the pool next year or will it still be around?
This is my first year of having the pool so looking for some pre-closure tips.
Would my train of thought be - if I don't mind wasting a bit more bleach using BBB, then don't bother with it. Should I put half in, bearing in mind it will take a week to take effect/read or should I drop the whole amount in and will reap the benefits next spring?

thanks all again in advance. I've had a great summer in the pool thanks to you guys and the missus and kids have never been happier. Colorado weather could've been a little better but maybe next year...
(p.s. we tend not to get snow prior to mid/late october)

Regards

Danny

How much CYA have you added this year? The only way CYA leaves you pool is draining or splashing out significant amounts of water and replacing it with fresh water, or the rare case of CYA converting to ammonia. Are you sure you are testing correctly, the dot never disappears? If you are truly at 0 CYA then add enough to raise it up to 40 wait a week and re-test. The CYA will still be there in the spring.

Thanks for the response zea3.
Parties of 15 kids do seem to throw the water out of the pool every weekend so I have had to replace quite a lot over the summer. I had it at 40 (dot disappeared) and did notice it creeping down. Then some bright spark realized we could jump off the roof of the house which meant the hose was out every other day....
That will be the reason I guess.
I'll bring it back up to 40 CYA again if it will hold over the winter. Not sure I liked putting 2 bottles of bleach in a day to be honest so that was the answer I was hoping for...

Cheers

Danny

In fact, I have a great photo I'll put up in the other forum of our youngest doing his 'leap of death' :shock:
It's 10 foot deep nearly all over so easily takes the fall.....

not parent of the year I know but what can you do - hide the ladder?

Danny,

The CYA should last but it doesn't always.

I would let it go 'til next season but then bring it up around 50 or so and keep it there for the season.....you'll consume a lot less bleach.

what forum is the photo in? did you see the video someone posted on TFP - was a link to youtube and three guys playing extreme pool-basketball. don"t let you daredevil see that video!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When we discovered our CYA was down to about 10-15 ppm, we decided to take advantage of it by using the 3" chlorine tabs in our floater from mid-June to mid-August. It was kinda nice just adding 2 more tabs every 10 days (which used up the tabs that came with the pool last May!) The pool tests remained very balanced all summer and I only started using the bleach again about two weeks ago. So it took about two months for the tabs to take our CYA from 10-15 ppm to 40 ppm.

If you went that route, you could probably use one 3" tab. But you'd need to play it safe and figure out how long it would take you to get back to where you want to be in your CYA, so you don't go over it. I liked keeping our CYA at 20-25 - worked very well for us and allowed us to use much less bleach. But 40 is fine too - considering how easy it was just dropping the tabs in every 10 days.

Thanks for all the tips folks. Looking forward to next year as I may play around with the tabs somewhat. It was a cheap year on the chemicals thanks to this place but I think I personally could save one or two more bucks as time goes on :party:

Cheers

Danny

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.