Borate

No, there is not typically any borate in the water nor any cyanuric acid. It's possible that in some wells with certain runoff in fertilized area that one could find some cyanuric acid and in areas in the Central Valley in California there is Boron in the watershed. Check your local drinking water quality report for the presence of such substances, but generally you won't find cyanuric acid nor boron.

Also, because my city requires backwash of all DE filters how often can I expect to be adding more Borate to maintain the 50 ppm give the typical 1 month DE filter backwash and should I worry about Borate in the winter?

I don't know your pool volume nor how much water you use in backwashing, but I suspect it's less than 5% of the pool water volume each time. So that would reduce the borates by not more than 2.5 ppm so after a backwash this could be added, but it's not a big deal. I'd wait for at least 3 months and then test the borates level. You most likely will be able to go an entire season without having to adjust borates.

You don't need to worry about the borates over the winter, but if you have rain overflow that dilutes the water you may need to add more in spring upon opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.