Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing - add a polyquat algaecide or not

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing - add a polyquat algaecide or not

I'm getting ready to close up our pool in the next week or two and was re-reading PS and noticed that it said adding a polyquat algaecide was optional. I was just wondering how many people actually use it and does it make that much difference one way or the other. We've had a sparkling pool all summer thanks to TFP and BBB, so I definately want to continue to follow the recommendations of fellow TFP'ers. Thanks!
    24' Round 52" High AG, Waterway 125 SF Pro Clean 2HP, 2 SPD Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover Jr. /TF-100 Test Kit/ BBB - Ex Baqua User

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Closing - add a polyquat algaecide or not

I never have.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I used it the first year and opened to a clean pool,didn't last year and opened to a clean pool. So the choice is yours. :P
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

4. Back To Top    #4

I look at it this way - if you maintain adequate fc over the winter, it's not necessary! However, if there's a chance that the fc may fall while the pool is covered, it's a nice insurance policy
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Ted-
    How do you maintain fc over the winter without adding CL or without the pump running? This will be my first time closing, so I know nothing . We bought our pool last year but did not close it because we bought a house and had it taken down and put in storage until it was reinstalled this past spring. I'm not expecting to open a sparkling pool, but I'll do whatever I can to get as close to sparkling as possible. I haven't used anything in the pool this season other than bleach and CYA, have never needed the baking soda, borax or muratic acid I bought, so I was just wondering if adding algaecide could possibly make anything different next year. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow, I didn't realize that stuff was so expensive!

8. Back To Top    #8

Is this the right stuff?
    It should say "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%" as the Active Ingredient.

If it says "Poly" and "60" in the name, that is most likely the correct product.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie4136
    Ted-
    How do you maintain fc over the winter without adding CL or without the pump running? This will be my first time closing, so I know nothing . We bought our pool last year but did not close it because we bought a house and had it taken down and put in storage until it was reinstalled this past spring. I'm not expecting to open a sparkling pool, but I'll do whatever I can to get as close to sparkling as possible. I haven't used anything in the pool this season other than bleach and CYA, have never needed the baking soda, borax or muratic acid I bought, so I was just wondering if adding algaecide could possibly make anything different next year. Thanks.
    Algae is likely to grow more rapidly when the water temp is above 60 degrees and the chlorine hits zero. So if you don't get very cold temps over the winter (the water doesn't freeze) some just pull the cover back a bit and add some chlorine and stir it with the pole brush or use a submersible pump to circulate the chlorine a bit...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie4136
    Ted-
    Stephanie - if you have a solid cover and closed with sufficient cl and no organics, the cl will maintain itself If you have a mesh cover or one that will allow debris into the pool, you can either pull a section of cover off and test during the winter (when the pool isn't frozen) and add more, with the assistance of a small pump, or similar to help circulate the water.

However, not all winters are the same - I played golf 3 years ago on Christmas eve wearing shorts and a tee shirt! it was 63* on Martha's Vineyard You close a pool when you expect the water to freeze (or at least come close) for a while and, if you have a mostly mild winter, all your winterizing chems may well be used up quickly That's why I like the 'insurance' that poly 60 provides. I advocate peeling back a section of the cover and testing the water once a month during the winter (*this does not work with an iced over pool )

This is just my take on it, it's your pool and you can care for it as you will
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Just as a point of reference, whereas my covered pool uses somewhat less than 1 ppm FC per day with 86F-90F water temperature, during the winter (again, covered) it loses less than 1 ppm FC per week at 45F-55F and perhaps less then 1 ppm FC every 2 weeks. I don't think one can make it all winter with a single shock of chlorine, but one should be able to go for a month or two before checking levels and perhaps adding more and stirring/brushing to mix (assuming the pump is off; in our case, we can keep the pump running albeit less frequently since we aren't in hard-freezing climate).

PolyQuat gets broken down by chlorine and also gets filtered out since it's also a clarifier. So adding an excess for the winter closing and shutting down the pump could have it last quite a while at cooler temperatures, but I don't have any hard data to support that. The Buckman Labs recommendation for use of PolyQuat to close pools is here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks everyone.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I use a poly 60 on safety cover closings UNLESS it's an ultra-loc or simliar cover that open up clean regardless. We have installed a few more Loop Loc IIs standard dense mesh covers this year and I will be able to make a judgement call if the poly 60 is needed with the Loop Loc II's. I don't use the poly 60 on water bag covers.

Sometimes it really helps (for example a new customer is like wow it's never been so nice!)
    or sometimes it looks like it really doesn't do anything.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Is this the right stuff?
    It should say "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride 60%" as the Active Ingredient.

If it says "Poly" and "60" in the name, that is most likely the correct product.
    Thanks, Butterfly. I did find some locally at a Leslie's poolstore. Still trying to decide whether or not to buy it, or just depend on the chlorine alone.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)