Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is best type floor sweeper for me?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is best type floor sweeper for me?

Aloha, given I have a 8x20 pool, 7' deep with 90 degree "corrugated" sides, made form a shipping container what is the best pool automatic floor sweeper for me? I would like:

1: non electric, propelled by water

2: Cheap $100-$200 used range

3: can any attempt to clean the vertical sides?

4: I have 1/8 hp pump as well as 3/4 hp (20 GPM Pump)

5: need to clean the dog hair and misc small stuff on bottom (no leaves or big stuff)

6: does not need to be fast, I leave the 1/8 hp pump on at nights and the 3/4hp pump on all day. Running on soloar so it is cheap to run

7800 Gal. 8' wide x 20' long x 7' deep
    Hayward 1200 Cartridge 7200 GPH, Waterworks 1/8 hp 2400 GPH
    Made from 20 Container Lined with "PolyUrea/Rhino Lining"
    Workshop, welding etc,+office+living area running off grid on 10kw PV

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, California USA

Re: What is best type floor sweeper for me?

I can't see that any standard pressure-side cleaner (Polaris etc.) will work for you if you need it to clean verticle sides -- and presume you have tight 90 degree box corners, as well? Though have you thought that perhaps the cleaner doesn't really NEED to clean the walls if they're brushed on a regular basis? You just need an automatic cleaner that will pick up what falls to the bottom. If you can tweak the sometimes difficult adjustments on a Polaris cleaner maybe when it finds those box corners it will flip over and keep going (otherwise it will wait the 3 minutes until the backup cycle takes effect.) But I think you'd need at least a 1/2 hp booster pump to make it effective. I've never seen one in action, but I've heard that the battery operated automatic cleaners (no tether for water or power) can climb walls. But here, I'll bet that cost is an issue. What else is there, besides suction vacuuming that is? How about the pool boy (or girl) that works on the cheap? Say, in exchange for a swim...
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009