Upgrading Equipment

Apr 13, 2009
Kingman, Arizona
Well, I got a full summer out of my pool equipment, The pump is having trouble starting lately (hums for a few seconds before starting) and my filter never quite did the job (lets stuff through when vacuuming). My timer has never worked and honestly, I have basically fought my pool since purchasing my house this spring. I have done a fair amount of research and have narrowed my selection down to pentair products. I do not have an unlimited budget but I don't want to get garbage that I will have to replace in a couple seasons.

Pump wise, I have basically narrowed my choices down to the Wisperflo 3/4hp or the Superflo 3/4hp. I know the Whisperflo is more efficient, but the I like the price of the Superflo. My reasoning for going from 1hp to 3/4hp is the fact that from what I have read and heard, 3/4 is just fine for the system I have. I would like to get a suction side cleaner eventually, and get a little more flow out of my slide for next season. Will the downgrade to 3/4 hp hurt me in this department?

Filter wise, while I have been frustrated with my current setup, I like cartridge filters and would like to stay with carts. I have been eying the pentair clean and clear plus 240 sq ft, or the regular clean and clear 200. Both of these are pretty expensive, so if these systems are overkill, or there is a cheaper, quality alternative, I would love to hear about it.

I am basically ready to pull the trigger, just want to make sure I don't mess this up :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance,

Cochese said:
Pump wise, I have basically narrowed my choices down to the Wisperflo 3/4hp or the Superflo 3/4hp. I know the Whisperflo is more efficient, but the I like the price of the Superflo. My reasoning for going from 1hp to 3/4hp is the fact that from what I have read and heard, 3/4 is just fine for the system I have. I would like to get a suction side cleaner eventually, and get a little more flow out of my slide for next season. Will the downgrade to 3/4 hp hurt me in this department?

What's the diameter of the pipe that runs to and from the main pump currently installed?
Though I researched the products you mention a few years ago, I've forgotten the specifications. If the Whisperflo is more efficient than Superflo, might this be in the long run the cheapest pump to buy and operate? What's the service factor for each of the 3/4hp pumps you're considering? And for the 1 hp you use now? Do you know the return pipe size or GPM on supply side for the slide? A new 3/4 hp pump may give you all or more that the 1 hp pump provided depending on the specs. I'll bet if you up-sized the filter (240 sq ft) that might solve some of the flow rate issues.

Caveat emptor: I'm not an expert on pumps or fluid dynamics, but there are several knowledgeable individuals in this forum who seem to be... Mas985, for one.

Filter wise, while I have been frustrated with my current setup, I like cartridge filters and would like to stay with carts. I have been eying the pentair clean and clear plus 240 sq ft, or the regular clean and clear 200. Both of these are pretty expensive, so if these systems are overkill, or there is a cheaper, quality alternative, I would love to hear about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.