Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Pool with seperate raised spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing Pool with seperate raised spa

Hi - i live in the north and for the first time want to close both by inground pool and seperate spa that use the same filter/pump/heater. My problem is that the spa is raised about 12" above the spa. Do I drain the spa? and if not how do I keep the lines from the spa free of water? Any help is welcome, thanks

Ed
    18.5K Gallon, "L" Shaped, IG White Plaster Built 1967, Re-plastered 2001
    Transitioning from Old School equipment: 1 1/2 Copper and plastic plumping, 1/2 Hp Sta-rite Max-E-Glass main pump (2002), Tagelus TA-60D with Clear Pro (2012), Teledyne "One" EPC 325,000 Btu NG Heater (1992), Aquabot 4wd cleaner. [On Hiatus:1/2 Hp Sta-rite Booster pump (1993) with dedicated 1" pressure line to Jandy Ray-Vac (2001) ]
    In our care since December 2008, using BBB method since June 2009.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Pool with seperate raised spa

Welcome to TFP!!

The different heights of the pool and spa don't really matter.

What you want to do is evacuate the water from the lines and plug them off so that no water can reenter them (adding antifreeze is also a good idea , but not always practical )

If you tell us a little more about your pool/ set up, we can, and will, give more specific advice
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

So I need to drain the spa - then blow out the lines add some antifreeze - then plug the main drains. Should I then refill the spa to 6" below the skimmer?
    18.5K Gallon, "L" Shaped, IG White Plaster Built 1967, Re-plastered 2001
    Transitioning from Old School equipment: 1 1/2 Copper and plastic plumping, 1/2 Hp Sta-rite Max-E-Glass main pump (2002), Tagelus TA-60D with Clear Pro (2012), Teledyne "One" EPC 325,000 Btu NG Heater (1992), Aquabot 4wd cleaner. [On Hiatus:1/2 Hp Sta-rite Booster pump (1993) with dedicated 1" pressure line to Jandy Ray-Vac (2001) ]
    In our care since December 2008, using BBB method since June 2009.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can drain the spa if you'd like to, to blow and plug the lines. Having had a few spas float from 'ground water' in the spring, I'd certainly refill it after the lines are plugged

If you need any help on the 'how to's' - please ask
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)