Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not sure if I bought the right size SWG.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lafayette, LA

Not sure if I bought the right size SWG.

I recently purchased a aqua rite pro 25k system for my pool but have not installed it. After searching through a handful of posts on this site it seems everyone recommends going to the larger cell. We live in south Louisiana and run our pool 24/7 therefore I thought the 25k setup would/should be enough. I swear the minute we turn the pool off algae starts growing in the corners that is why we run it all the time. Should I try and exchange this 25k cell for the 40k cell or will I be ok? What kind of shorter life span should I expect out of the 25k vs the 40k?

19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite AQR Pro SWG, T15 cell for 25000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

near the swamp

Re: Not sure if I bought the right size SWG.

go for the bigger cell

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

If it is an easy exchange, I would go with the larger cell. But the cell you have will work just fine as long as your pump run time stays reasonably long, ie 4 hours a day isn't going to work, but 12 hours a day or longer ought to be fine. The larger cells will normally last longer by the same proportion as the relative size of the pool they are specked for, ie a 40K unit should last 40/25, or 8/5, times as long (assuming nothing unusual happens).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The Woodlands, Texas, USA

I have the 40k cell on my 24000 gal pool in Houston. I run
    y pump 12 hours/day and the setting is 30%. Plenty of capacity.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

5. Back To Top    #5
    S.E. MI

I agree, I would exchange it for the 40k if you can. My pool is 20,000 gallons and I have the 40k cell. I run my pump 10 hours at 10%-15%. We do use our solar cover a lot which seems to hold the chlorine in more.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)