Will a Intex SWG be safe for my Solar Panels?

JRS7

Aug 10, 2009
Wanting to buy the Intex SWG from Wal-Mart to add to my pool: Will it be safe to run with Solar Panels?

The reason I'm asking is that my understanding of the Solar Panels, is that they have very small holes where the water goes to the tubes in the panels....I'm wondering if over time the holes can get caked up and plugged with salt residue? Any thoughts?

Thankx.

Shouldn't cause any problems at all. I have solar panels and had a salt water pool last year with no ill effects. I didn't actually have a SWG on my pool, but that shouldn't make a difference as it should be plumbed after the solar panels.

Adam

not a prob at all...also the swg should be last in line before returning to the pool

Skimmer-->Pump-->filter-->solar panels-->swg-->return to pool

I have the same set-up :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
not a prob at all...also the swg should be last in line before returning to the pool

Skimmer-->Pump-->filter-->solar panels-->swg-->return to pool

I have the same set-up :goodjob:

Are you sure mine would have to be this way? My pump is rated at about 2,000 gph, but when it's diverted totally to the panels it's putting out about 360 gph...that's not high enough for the SWG to do it's job, is it? Wouldn't I put the SWG after the dirverter valve so that I can adjust the valve so some water is going through the Solar Panels and the rest straight through the SWG and back into the pool?

Thinking about it as I write this, that's probably exactly what you said, isn't it? I would put the SWG dead last in the line, which means it after both the Solar Panels and the Dirverter Valve, right?

The SWG should go dead last. Typically, the flow from the panels rejoins the flow that is diverted around the panels just before going to the returns. That point, after the two flows rejoin, is the ideal spot to put the SWG. Not all systems are plumbed that way, so you may need to set things up differently, depending on your specific situations.

yup...dead last.

I have another concern though...can you help us visualize your current plumbing of your solar panel(s)? The reason I ask is although panels are somewhat restrictive, they should not be decreasing your flow so much. I only run one panel with the diverter fully closed to flow 100% through the panel and experience about a 1-2psi increase on my pump...barely enough to notice the lower flow out the return.

If you have multiple panels are the plumbed in series or parallel (preferred)? If I had another panel in parallel, I would figure my flow restriction would be even more minimal. If in series it would increase.

dmanb2b said:
yup...dead last.

I have another concern though...can you help us visualize your current plumbing of your solar panel(s)? The reason I ask is although panels are somewhat restrictive, they should not be decreasing your flow so much. I only run one panel with the diverter fully closed to flow 100% through the panel and experience about a 1-2psi increase on my pump...barely enough to notice the lower flow out the return.

If you have multiple panels are the plumbed in series or parallel (preferred)? If I had another panel in parallel, I would figure my flow restriction would be even more minimal. If in series it would increase.

Basically the panels are laying one above the other....the water comes in from the pool into one of the panels...it then flows down the panel to the end where the panel is connected to the other....the water then enters the second panel and flows back the other way through that panel and then returns to the pool....is this the best way? Basically the water flows through one panel at a time......I can take pictures if needed....That's the way the instructions said to hook it up. It would be nice if there was a better way to get more flow, I only get about 6 gpm......

Ideally, you want to plumb your panels in parallel. The water should split to go to all the panels and then join back up at the other end and go to the pool. That will get you more than twice the flow rate and more total heat. This approach tends to require a bit more pipe, but it is much more efficient.

sounds like you have it hooked up in series.

You want to plumb it like this filter--> T- Fitting (split the return flow) --> now connect the two returns to panel 1 inlet and panel 2 inlet --> then plumb the two panel outlets into another T-fitting which will now join the two return flows into one --> SWG-->Pool

Let's see if I can illustrate this another way:

/ Panel 1\
Fillter -->hose-->Tee > Tee---SWG---pool
\ Panel 2/

dmanb2b said:
sounds like you have it hooked up in series.

You want to plumb it like this filter--> T- Fitting (split the return flow) --> now connect the two returns to panel 1 inlet and panel 2 inlet --> then plumb the two panel outlets into another T-fitting which will now join the two return flows into one --> SWG-->Pool

Let's see if I can illustrate this another way:

/ Panel 1\
Fillter -->hose-->Tee > Tee---SWG---pool
\ Panel 2/

Do I have to have a T at both ends of the Solar Panels? Can I just put a T where the water goes to the panels, so they each have water coming directly into them, then keep the panels connected at the other end with the output coming from one of the panels? Would that serve the same as a T on the output?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.