replacement wall material for buried AG

kernelpanic

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2009
Fort Worth Area, Texas
We have an AG pool that is buried about 2 feet - been in the ground for 8 years now. Due to poor chemistry habits in the past, we anticipate needing to change our liner out next year - we've had to patch 3 or 4 spots so far this year and they keep popping up.

We also have rust on the outside of the wall on one end of the pool and I'm now seeing it spread around the pool wall - and that is above ground level - I would hate to see the state of things below ground. I believe this was caused by wicking of ground moisture up between the liner and the pool wall as it started on the west end of the pool which bears the afternoon sun and heat.

When we replace the liner, I think we're going to need to replace the wall material as well. Is this going to be a PITA?

Are replacement walls available? I don't even remember what brand this pool is - it has metal walls though and I'm thinking we need a different material - composite, plastic, fiberglass - not sure what is available though.

Any ideas/thoughts on the issue are appreciated. Thanks.

Good afternoon,

I am currently working on a project similar to yours, but my install is new. You will probably have to buy a new wall and frame kit. Nationalpoolwholesalers.com has a good deal right now (10% off). We plan to insulate our walls with a thin sheet of rubber (the stuff that is used to muffle noise and absorb moisture underneath hardwood flooring) prior to our backfill. This will not prevent all rusting, but it will slow the process down a great deal. I have not been able to find a company that sells the individual pool parts separately. Anything you get with the pool frame and wall kit could be put away for later use (I am guessing your pump and filter are going on 8 years too). As I remember, you may be able to find a couple of websites that sell a bare minimum pool, but keep a close eye on the quality of wall you are purchasing because the pool business is like all others- looks can be deceiving. I purchased my whole kit from National Pool Wholesalers and only spent about $5500.00. I purchased an 18x33 Delair "Sunsation" AGP, expandable liner, saltwater system (generator and cell), robo kleener, wedding cake steps for shallow end and vinyl ladder for deep end and I couldn't resist the fiber optic lighting (for the hubby and I). I also forund their website for building my pool very user friendly too. :-D . I believe I have also run across a few sites that offer a resin wall pool. You may want to check out the Doughboy product line. I was real impressed with their quality and warranty, but they were a little pricey for my budget. I feel that I got the most bang for my buck through National Pool Wholesalers. Good luck with your replacement.

Just for some thought for you guys that have portions of your AGP under ground...I too have a "high" side to my pool, and once backfilled there will be dirt about 1.5 feet up that part of the wall. I am going to coat that portion of wall (even though it's hot dipped, and resin coated) with truck bed liner...this stuff I have coated many things with and it's a tough as nails, waterproof coating that lasts forever. You can buy it at any of the large DIY stores, and it's a roll on application process that is fairly easy. I am coating my portion of the pool that will go under dirt with it.

Dan

yep, that's the stuff. I am rolling it on my portion of pool wall that will be buried/backfilled under dirt. It's really good stuff. I have it in my truck bed liner and have hauled rock, dirt, wet grass, leaves, garbage, etc..and the stuff just does not scratch, dent or get penetrated in any way. I also shoot fireworks and am a licensed pyrotechnician, and have used this stuff to line my explosive magazines as well, since it is spark resistant and waterproof. I think it would make the IDEAL candidate for painting on a pool wall. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Dan

I found that truck bed liner at my local auto parts store. What a NOVEL idea :cheers: . Any clue how much area a gallon will cover? The guy I talked to said it is not on the container. I figured it was due to the fact that different people use different levels of coating depending on their needs. How thick are you going to go on yours? I would think that a couple of coats should do the trick, or does it need to be as thick as it is on a truck bed?

I can't remember right off hand how much one gallon will cover...I did two coats with a roller..this will leave it plenty thick for your pool wall. (it ain't a truck bed afterall)

If in doubt, just buy more than you'll need and return any unused gallons.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.