Refinishing / Restoring a Fiberglass Pool Slide

They have the best recommendation for refinishing a pool slide. It is just like the outdoor play set that capable to restore the texture of the slide. It's better to know the process identification of the slide so that you know how to restore it.

OK. We sanded down the slide which made a huge difference. Still have to take some pic's. We have a few chips to repair and then another sanding and cleaning. I ordered the Interlux perfection
(after talking to our marine supply store). Depending on the weather we should be able to finish it out in a week or so.

Hey-
Here are pictures from our slide refurbishing. We used the Interlux Perfection. It took about 2 days for prep with sanding, bondo and waiting for the weather. We have one more coat to put on. The paint is a little tricky to use but not bad. We bought one quart (68.00USD) and that is plenty. It takes approximately 4 hours to dry to the touch and 14 hours to overcoat which means if your slide is exposed (as ours is) you have to have some good weather. We did have a couple of bugs land in the wet paint but it didn't hurt the finish. The bugs didn't fare so well however.
It does look like we have a new slide!
[attachment=2:12i6y4o6]IMG_2473.JPG[/attachment:12i6y4o6]
Slide sanded and halfway prepped

Another shot
[attachment=1:12i6y4o6]IMG_2464.JPG[/attachment:12i6y4o6]
[attachment=0:12i6y4o6]IMG_2467.JPG[/attachment:12i6y4o6]

Attachments

• IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,156
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 832
Here are some shots after the Inerlux.
[attachment=2:2r2mp624]IMG_2483.JPG[/attachment:2r2mp624]
[attachment=1:2r2mp624]IMG_2480.JPG[/attachment:2r2mp624]
[attachment=0:2r2mp624]IMG_2486.JPG[/attachment:2r2mp624]

Attachments

• IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_2480.JPG
    IMG_2480.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2486.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 845
Well, we sanded down any imperfections and put an overcoat on and we have a couple of spots that are a little duller than others. That is mostly at the top of the slide which may be due to the dew we had during the night. It did turn out really well and we are going to buff it out and wax it for protection. Not sure which wax but definitely a boat/marine wax. We had to order the sprayer nozzels for replacement. The parts were for a Smith slide even though we are not certain that is the brand of our slide but they fit just fine. Word of warning...for two small plastic nozzles and 100 foot of tubing it was 60.00 USD. Although, it was much cheaper than replacing the slide I thought the cost for the silly little nozzels was ridiculous. But all in all it cost us about 120.00 USD. Not bad for the results.

BTW I really appreciate the video's that were posted from Interlux. They were SO helpful to make sure we did everything right. This site is wonderful! thanks for all the insight.

Thank you for sharing this. We've a slightly cracked SR Smith Frontier III and can't find a replacement anywhere. Not that I really want to spend $1000 on another slide that is rarely used. I stumbled on to your posting and must say I'm inspired. Phenomenal job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to replace the water jets and tubing on my slide I'm in the process of refinishing. It's identical to the one in the pictures above. I've repainted using the Perfection paint and it looks great. I used the platinum color to match our pool deck. I'm about ready to reassemble and reattach to the pool.[attachment=2:15aq2shf]photo.jpg[/attachment:15aq2shf]

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 730
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 716
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 714
Latest pictures of installed refinished slide. Waiting on water jets and tubing which should arrive this week. I know my grandkids cannot wait to try it out; of course, Papa will have to give it a test run, too!

Attachments

• photo 5-31-2010.jpg
    photo 5-31-2010.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 714
  • photo3 5-31-2010.jpg
    photo3 5-31-2010.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 705
  • photo2 5-31-2010.jpg
    photo2 5-31-2010.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 704
All you DIY'ers have done beautiful jobs on your slides!

Me, I'm not so much of a DIY'er. I took mine to a local independent body shop. I figured that if they could repair Corvettes, they could repair a fiberglass slide. Did a great job. Cheaper than a new one, more expensive than DIY.

BTW, the water nozzles are available at Leslie's pretty cheap. I picked up the hose at HD, much cheaper & better quality than the OEM stuff.

Wow, never even thought of taking ours to a body shop...what a great idea!! That is how I figured out how to refurbish it though. I figured if you can repair the fiberglass on a corvette, a slide should be pretty simple. I just never thought to take it to a shop. Duh!

Good thread here. I'm getting ready to refurb an old Aquaslide which has seen better days. Fully intend on using Interlux Perfection as mentioned in the above posts. Here's my question.

I'm going to have to be creative in my placement, since I have a sport pool, and this pool is not really meant for a slide, but should work, given the specifications from SR Smith. As for the plumbing.....I obviously have no dedicated return for water supply for the slide. Is it possible to put a threaded tee on the closest return? Put the eyeball on the end of that tee, and then run flex up to the slide? Water pressure issues?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.