Buying a used AGP

I know it's getting a little doggie around here and less poolish but what do you think of this dog. I've always thought she looked as if she has some Greyhound in her. She's only about 20 pounds though. She has a good deep chest and the tucked tummy.

100_3547.jpg

Well, I won't have much poolish things to type about until Monday when they come level the ground, and if you've read the last nine pages here, you'll see I love to type!

She looks like a lurcher! Her snout looks like a Grey. Those ears look like some other dog though. Which is fine. If you have a side picture of her standing up, that'd be a better way to tell though. I'll zip the photo off to my wife, she'd be the end-all of lurcher knowledge in this house.

Any numbers tattooed on the inside of those floppy ears? Sometimes they get tatted if they come from a track.

Wow! I don't even have to ask my wife. You're the proud owner of a lurcher!

Ours was very obstinate! It was her way, or no way! She was the Alpha dog of the pack, even though she was half as big as the others! Although my 15 year old cat was and still is the alpha animal inside the house. It's funny the dogs will literally rip a cat to pieces outside, but they're deathly afraid of the cats inside...

...and since I don't have anything poolish to type until Monday, how's this for a story?

I ran into town this evening, and on my way back I found a laptop in the middle of the other lane! I almost didn't stop as it didn't look like a laptop 'cause it was one of those tiny tiny tiny tiny laptops. The Microsoft Serial Number sticker on the bottom caught my eye as I drove by it, so I backed up and grabbed it! I thought I was the proud owner of a new broken laptop!! I was shocked when I opened it up and it worked! So I went through it trying to figure out who it belonged to, and I finally opened up the web browser and went to facebook. They had it so it was always logged into facebook! So I posted a message on her wall asking someone to call her and tell her I had her laptop. Her mom saw the posting, emailed me her phone number, I called it and she came out and got it! She works for life flight, and apparently she set it on the back of her truck, and then went to work. It flew off at the first corner she went around... Totally weird. It felt so wrong going through someones computer looking at all their... ahem, sometimes personal documents and files trying to figure out who it belonged to... Felt even more wrong logging into their facebook account! But she got it back, and she's happy!

Crazy...

laptop.jpg

Oh wait! Just had a thought, but won't know if my thought is correct until my wife gets home in the morning. Greyhounds are different to take care of then a regular dog from a medical point of view. I think Lurchers fall into that group. Medicine that might be fine for a regular dog, can hurt a greyhound. Not all vets are trained properly to take care of greyhounds... It's not their fault. There's even some vets that think they know, but really don't.

I'll get the definite answer for you in the morning. We have different departments in this house, and that's not my department. :mrgreen:

Regular good people! So many would have taken the laptop and run.

Thanks for the i.d on the dog. She showed up almost a year ago and had no idea of how to play even. Never met a dog that didn't know how to play. She is doing much better now and will even get a toy out of the basket on her own. I'm so happy that now I can tell people we have a Lurcher when they ask what sort of dog she is. The old answer was , we have a crazy dog. I've looked at a few websites about them so maybe that will help in training her. She gets very timid quickly. She didn't know any basic commands at first. She can at least sit and stay when I feed them now. That's interesting about the meds for a greyhound. I would have never thought. So far she's been healthy. I'll definitely be waiting to hear from your wife about that.

Hope things go well Monday with the excavating. And thanks again with the help on the dog.
Happy 4th of July!

Really, the last thing I'd want is another computer around here... Computers fall into my department, as they don't bleed. We have 4 desktops, 1 server, 1 computer dedicated to the christmas lights, 2 laptops, and 2 motorola droids which are just tiny computers that also happen to make phone calls. Guess who gets a call when something doesn't work right!

All of the Greyhounds from a track don't have a clue how to play. They don't even know how to walk up stairs. This is what the foster homes teach them, and also to assess if they're cat-safe or not. Oh, and small children safe too... Some are not. The only thing they're trained for is to chase small fuzzy creatures... My 15 year old cat is the perfect test. We bring the cat to the dog (with a muzzle on) and if the cat starts growling, hissing and going nuts... not cat-safe. If the cat does absolutely nothing and ignores the dog completely... cat-safe! It's worked every single time with a perfect record! This is the only cat I know of that'll do that!

Well, I just realized it's tomorrow already! I should probably go to sleep. One day closer to Monday!

Ok, so after my daily dose of "Trauma: Life in the E.R. - Ghetto Edition" stories from my wife. I showed her your Lurcher. She said it's definitely a Lurcher, and probably maybe beagle and since it's tiny probably an italian greyhound. Definitely has that greyhound face. Definitely a crazy looking dog. :-D

She said Lurchers do fall into that "Special Medicine" group I was thinking about. It's not so much regular type medicine... It's that the anesthesia needs are different from a regular dog. Which to me falls into that, "Not my department!" category and get's filed away into the medical part of my brain which is real small, so I have to drop most facts and just file away "Greyhound - Medical - Different" That's all I need to know...

Their liver metabolizes stuff much slower then regular dogs. They have half the body fat, so that messes with the drugs actions too.

Safe injectibles include Telazol, Ketamine/Valium and Propofol.

Thiobarbiturate anesthetics (Thiopental) should not be used. This stuff makes for a slow, drawn out recovery. Slow is not in the sighthound's vocabulary and thus should be avoided. Some anesthesiologist's think a single dose of this stuff intravenously is fine... I'd fire them on the spot. Why bother when there's all that other stuff?

There's probably more, but my brain can only hold medical information for 7 minutes 32 seconds. After that, forget about it, you're not gettin' anything out of me other than, "Greyhound - Medical - Different"

You could probably get a reference to a greyhound savvy vet in your area if you send an email to Kim Klueg, [email protected] She's the president for Greyhound Pets of America of the local chapter in your area. Tell her the old webmaster from GPA Central New Hampshire Chapter sent ya!

Here's something poolish!

I moved the fittings from the old valve to the new valve!

pool95.jpg

Exciting, I know!

Ok, so I've been in the bar trying to perfect a mixed drink I've been working on... Complete failure again, it kills me that I have to stop experimenting. I'm completely plastered! LOL

This is the closest I've come to my perfect drink... But it's not perfect yet.

3/4 oz simple syrup
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz vodka

In shaker with ice, shake well, pour ice and all into cocktail glass.

1/2 oz Blue Curacao - pour over back of spoon into drink, this'll make the 'Blue' float on top for the duration.

Lemon or Lime garnish with paper umbrella. Sip responsibly through cocktail straw. The kicker will be at the end of the drink! :)

That's about as close as I've come so far... Gotta keep working on it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll let our vet know about the drugs. When we had her spade, they kept her overnight so I don't really know how she reacted at first. It's been almost a year but it seems as if she was fine when we got home. It's fun to be able to call her something besides a mutt! Thanks for the help. Tell you wife especially thank you!!!!!

Quote:I ran into town this evening, and on my way back I found a laptop in the middle of the other lane!

That was good, I once found a pretty expensive phone on the ground, I looked at the contacts and found one called home, So I called it to tell them I found their phone and all I got was a torrent of abuse about how dare I look at their personal phone.
I did still get it back to them and told them that in future i will just throw it in the trash and let them buy a new phone (probably wasted my breath but it felt better saying it)

britinusa said:
Quote:I ran into town this evening, and on my way back I found a laptop in the middle of the other lane!

That was good, I once found a pretty expensive phone on the ground, I looked at the contacts and found one called home, So I called it to tell them I found their phone and all I got was a torrent of abuse about how dare I look at their personal phone.
I did still get it back to them and told them that in future i will just throw it in the trash and let them buy a new phone (probably wasted my breath but it felt better saying it)

There are so many weird people out there that's is almost unbeliveable. It's good we don't have to meet them all :wink:

Let the building begin!!!

pool96.jpg

Took them about an hour and a half. Tiz level +/- 1/4 inch now. :goodjob:

pool97.jpg

Way way way way more unlevel than I thought. Probably a foot and a half deep on one end, maybe two... Need to go measure.

pool98.jpg

He said he knew I only wanted 3 yards of sand, but he picked up a whole load. Probably cheaper to buy it that way. No problem with me...

Time to start laying out the pool!

So today it was something like two or three hundred degrees outside. At least.

Here's my wife digging holes for the blocks.
pool99.jpg

This is as far as we got, then the nurse said we were both going to die of heat strokes...
pool100.jpg

She said she was going to work on it more tomorrow while I'm at work. I LOVE MY WIFE!!

Kias said:
Really, the last thing I'd want is another computer around here... Computers fall into my department, as they don't bleed. We have 4 desktops, 1 server, 1 computer dedicated to the christmas lights, 2 laptops, and 2 motorola droids which are just tiny computers that also happen to make phone calls. Guess who gets a call when something doesn't work right!

Hey Rob, which controllers do you use for your lights? I'm getting into this hobby, and found a website for building your own controllers. :goodjob:

I use the light-o-rama controllers. I get the deluxe CTB16K controllers with the big heat sinks. It's in kit form, so you have to solder it yourself. If you've never had any, you'll also need to buy the software once. http://www.lightorama.com Oh, and they only have one sale a year, and it's going on right now.

This year will be my fourth year, and I completely forgot to get a video of it last year. The second year video is at http://www.nightenchanted.com I don't like it, but that's just me. One of the little trees has a burned out string, so it appears much further away then it really is. Oh well, maybe I'll remember to get a video this year and replace this one. Last year I built a mega-tree so I was really liking that setup!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.