Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a used AGP

Re: Buying a used AGP

We also have clay that's like concrete when it's dry. If I run water on it the day before I intend to rototill, it softens right up.
    25000 Gals, Intellichlor IC40 SWG , Intelliflo 4X160, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Easy Touch 8, Polaris 280

My adventure: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

I agree with RRC1962, hiring a guy with a bobcat would be an excellent investment. It would save you a lot of pain and frustration!
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

Well, looks like more tornadoes are on the way... We're under a tornado watch now. The storm is at the state line now.

I'm so never going to get the pool done...

<sigh>

Sent from my Droid
    Rob B
    15x30 Oval AGP - 10500 gallons
    Hayward 150 lb Sand Filter w/crocogator
    3/4 HP Pentair Dynamo Two Speed Pump
    Butterfly made me do it...

Well, Kias, not sure if this will help or not, but as you know we're pretty close to your location, so our pool builder opted to not be here today, anticipating the storms. Guess what? We didn't see a drop of rain, and absolutely no wind. BUT, while I was out running errands earlier today, a half-mile from our home I experienced quite a bit of wind and heavy downpours. Go figure. Not a problem = they have a crew of 7 guys coming out tomorrow and I believe we'll be getting close to the end result (fingers crossed).

I feel for you Rob, I'm surprised the weather cooperated for us long enough to get done! I've been following this thread, and I really hope you get that pool up soon!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

Well here I sit on the porch, my phone just went nuts, and the tornado siren is going off, so some one somewhere has spotted a tornado in our county. Probably just a rotating cloud at this point.

Yep, just confirmed
    Spinning clouds 10 miles west of us!

Weeeee! Here we go again!

Sent from my Droid
    Rob B

Wow. Stay safe up there...
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

Well, looks like it'll be $325 to get it leveled and have them leave a pile of sand

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Rob B

Sorry 'bout the shortness of the last message. I was at a Weird Al concert with the family!

We were going to call the guy today to come out and level the ground... However, my wife is now on the way to the emergency vet with Jay our Greyhound. He's not doin' too good. Something must be really wrong for my wife to want to take him. So financially it's not looking good for the pool right now. I hope our puppy gets better though. We just had to put down another Greyhound of ours that we've had for 12 years two weeks ago. He was 15, old and decrepit, looked like death walking.

So I'm not sure on the state of affairs right now for the pool. I guess I should at least bring the liner inside from the garage...
    Rob B

Hope Jay gets better. How old is he and how long where the two together? Hope it's not a case of broken heart/loneliness.

Prayers are with you
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

Rob, it sounds like y'all have had a tough few weeks. We'll keep y'all, and your furkid, in our prayers.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

I second the wetting of clay to soften it. I used to live on clay that was like cement when it was dry. When it was wet it was like glue. However there was a point between wet and dry that you could actually work it with a shovel or tiller. When I wanted to till my garden I had to wet it real well and then wait two days for it to dry some, but not too much. Good luck on the leveling and the weather!
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), with a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

Found your thread today. Hope things have gone well at the vet. At least the weather is looking as if it's going to be a bit calmer for awhile. I'm afraid I can't add anything about working with the clay. We have the same problem here but had a pb come in who had a bobcat. We wouldn't have attempted it otherwise. The land we live on has been farmed for eons and it's done nasty things to the soil. We put tar paper under our pool (probably not a good idea but we had it already) and I don't think the ground was sprayed with anything for pests. Nobody said anything about any of it! We were trusting souls back then. Looking forward to seeing your pool up and sparkling. It will happen!!!
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

Well... Took Jay to the vet with symptoms of bloat. Xrays were taken, some tests were done, and all is well. Turned out his right canine tooth is chipped above the gum-line. The day before all of this, our greyhounds killed a --- well, they killed something. Rabbit, Cat, Groundhog, who knows... I wasn't going to glue it back together to figure it out. But Jay came back with blood all over his face, I'll spare you with the pictures I took of that. LOL

After much wiping, it turned out it was his blood and it was coming from his canine tooth gum area. We didn't think much of it, as if I had a dollar for everytime those dogs came back bloody, I'd be putting in a million dollar pool. So they gave him some morphine and some rather strong anti-biotics and we did a follow up with his own vet today. He'll be going back in 2 or 3 weeks to get his teeth cleaned and possibly that fang pulled out. Depends on how it's doing.

So he'll be fine, and the guy to level the ground and leave a pile of sand will be here Monday afternoon!!!

And the pump I ordered three or four weeks ago was suppose to ship to me this week... I'm not going to say where I ordered it from until I actually have the pump in hand.

Looks like I'm gonna miss the July 4th deadline I set last year, but hopefully not by much!

Rob B

Is this nutgrass? I wouldn't know nutgrass if I tripped over it.

Errr... Nevermind, I googled it. That's not nutgrass. I'll go back to calling it, "Hey! There's pokey things out there!! Don't step on 'em!!!"
    Rob B

I HATE that weed...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdvldog
    Hope Jay gets better. How old is he and how long where the two together? Hope it's not a case of broken heart/loneliness.

Prayers are with you

Thanks! Jay is 7? Don't quote me on that... My wife is the keeper of all animal statistics. I could go look at the tattoo's inside his ears, but I'd have to call my wife to decode them anyway... I know there's the kennel code, year, litter number.. something like that. We've had him for 3 years? Maybe four? Again... Wife.. LOL! I'm useless without her. I suppose I could go on the web and find it... Nah, then I'd have to figure out what his racing name was... wife, me useless...

Jay was a Class A racer. Which means he was the best of the best, as far as racing goes. That's why he was so old before we got him. He's the fastest Greyhound I've ever seen! I've seen a lot... my wife was the foster home coordinator for two different rescue groups. We'd have Greys come and go here all the time! Also at 87 pounds, he's one of the biggest Greys I've seen too!

When we put our old one down, the remaining two greys (and the lab) were moaping around the place for days. Same thing when we put down our lurcher down a couple years ago... Tiz sad to watch pack dogs lose one of their packmates.
    Rob B

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I HATE that weed...
    Hahaha! Yeah, me too! I have a whole 5 acres of those if anyone wants any! FREE SHIPPING!! I'm constantly spraying the lawn to keep those in check!
    Rob B

What a good looking dog. Glad to hear he didn't have bloat. It ain't good. What pray tell is a lurcher??

It does look like a nasty weed. What does it look like after it's matured. Could be some sort of thistle. There's a bazillion varieties.
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

A lurcher is part sighthound part something else. Usually Greyhound and something else. There's all kinds of variety, but they all have that tell-tale greyhound shaped tummy area. This is a picture of our Lurcher, Dora. You can see the size difference.

I think that's that thistle that grows up to have one of those nice pokey purple flowers!
    Rob B