Buying a used AGP

It's ok if all the lurkers come out. I don't bite. (Too hard) :mrgreen:

So, apparently there's no rest for the wicked. The last couple of hours I spent taking off all the bottom connectors, vertical top caps, and vertical tabs. I had originally planned on buying new ones, but they seem to be ok after knocking off the dirt. I brought them in the house to throw them in the dishwasher so I could get a better inspection of them clean, but of course the dishwasher was full of dirty dishes. So while the dishes are getting cleaned, I'm going to go back out and see what else I can get done today. Probably not much more, I'm runnin' on empty right now. Tomorrow I have to take my son to the county fair. Monday, my wife and I are headed off to Hocking Hills to this cabin, that we booked back in April, for three days and two nights with no kids or pets, and spotty cell phone service at best.

:party: :whoot: :cheers: :goodjob:

Yaaaa... you're pretty jealous, admit it. :albino:

Put that stuff in your wife's dishwasher and you may end up going to that nice cabin all by yourself!! :shock: Of course, if worse comes to worst, DH and I would be happy to take your place in that nifty cabin! :wink:

Hey... I forgot! I did some research today and I stopped at the store on the way home and bought a small bottle of rust converter. Looks like you just remove loose rust, brush it right over the remaining rust, and it converts the iron oxide to iron tannate. It also has 2-Butoxyethanol which is an organic polymer which leaves a nice primer ready for paint. It doesn't affect any zinc coating that happens to be remaining from when it was new, so that's a good thing.

So, gonna give it a test.

Oh... It was $4.38. Should probably keep a running total of what I'm spending, or what's the point behind all of this?

Up to $104.38 Plus the nuts and bolts I bought... I'll get the total on that later and add it in.

Cherie said:
Put that stuff in your wife's dishwasher and you may end up going to that nice cabin all by yourself!! :shock: Of course, if worse comes to worst, DH and I would be happy to take your place in that nifty cabin! :wink:

Hahahaha!! Currently, that dishwasher is mine, on loan to my daughter... 'til she goes to college next year. LOL!

It's raised off the ground about a foot, I lifted it and slid it into the cabinet thingy, and installed it, so it's mine, cause it was a lot of work! :mrgreen:

It's ok, my wife married an aircraft mechanic and knows the weird stuff I do. There is a reason I insisted on getting a stainless steel dishwasher, and stainless steel washer and dryer. :twisted:

...plus she's at work right now. :shock:

I found it!!!

Or...

Things I haven't used in years and forgot what I did with it.

I think it'll come in handy. Now, what kind of paint to use... hmmm...
pool36.jpg

So I had some time and didn't really want to do anything so I decided I'd do some more inspections. Took the pressure gauge off to see the extent of the damage. The crack is definitely a slow leaker, by signs of the white dust running down the side... Typical over tightening damage.
pool38.jpg

I will also be buying a new return, it's cracked too.
pool39.jpg

Existing pool inspection!! (Yes, there's water in it...) :mrgreen:
pool40.jpg

The bolts I've removed so far.
pool37.jpg

...and last but not least. Pool parts in the dishwasher!! Looks like we're getting low on wine too! :(
pool41.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ahahaha! Nope, no picture of that... The parts are out of the dishwasher and no ones the wiser. :-D

Got a couple more pictures of the testing I'm doing for the rust converter.

Before:
pool42.jpg

About 10 minutes later:
pool43.jpg

I know the pictures don't show it very well, but the rust is turning black, like it should. I'm impressed so far. We'll take another look tomorrow morning. There was none of that nasty chemical smell either!

I hope your wife doesn't come and see all your evidence laying around here on the site. Then she'll know what a bad boy you really are when she's out at work! :twisted: :lol:

I'm just sayin...

Looks good so far. Keep the [s:20lzksd0]evidence[/s:20lzksd0] pics comin! :mrgreen:

After I got back from the fair this morning, I started some rust conversion on the top and bottom plates. The top right one I painted, just because. It's the one I tested yesterday. The top two left ones are still wet, as after I put the rust conversion goo on all of them, I realized I was still missing two. (Of course after I cleaned the brush...) So I found them and painted 'em with the goo. Then cleaned the brush. Then realized I was still missing one. (Obviously, I can't count either...) Found that one, and it's still waiting for me. I don't think I'm going to paint the rest of them like the top right one. I don't see the need for it with the primer and the galvanization under it.
pool44.jpg

Lets see... I think the liner goes on next...
pool45.jpg

Actually I set them up so I could get a good inspection on the straps. At fifty bucks a pop this is a neccessity. It all seems to be in good shape. The galvanization all seems to be there, they were just covered with sand. I don't even think I'm even going to disassemble these buttresses. There's very little surface rust, so maybe just some spot rust removing, and a new coat of paint. This pool has the optional deep end, which I'm not going to be taking advantage of. (3.5 feet comes up to my little ones neck) Two sets of buttresses came with the drag plates. So I'm debating on whether or not it's worth the hassle of digging all those holes for the giant cinder blocks, or just ordering two new straps.

Ok, back out to make a list of pool parts to order.

Well, the rest of the day was spent doing some more rust conversions, and some research. That little 8 oz bottle I bought goes a long ways! I'll probably only need 2 more bottles.

The pump after the rust conversion. I think I might still paint it... but then again, maybe not.
pool46.jpg

Which brings us to the research I did.

I started looking for through the wall lighting. I found a total of two. Hayward's Elite and Sta-Rite's Sunstar. Both 12v systems. That's pretty much it, unless someone else knows of more. Neither one can I conclusively find what type of bulbs they use to see if they can be changed with something more cool like those multi-color LED bulbs. Yes they come with colored lenses, but that seems so manual like. What if I wanted Tahitian Blue, or Miami Pink? Take apart the light, change the lens... blah. Of course if I had an inground, my choices would be endless!

Then it was off to pumps. I figure the first electric bill I get after startup, I'll probably be changing pumps real quick. Looked for a while, but finally found a two speed pump. Pentair dynamo, $220 to $300 for a 3/4 hp depending on where you buy it.

I think I'm going to go with Gladon's perfect pool bottom kit, unless someone has a overwhelming reason not to. Haven't decided on the wall foam yet or not.

I've also run into a snag. I can't find the four verticals I need, nor the plastic caps that go on top. I have some emails out, just waiting on replies. If I can't find the verticals, I'll be doing some sheet metal work. They'll probably turn out ugly, but structurally ok, so I would probably hide those on the side of the pool that will never be seen, 'cept when mowing. :goodjob:

Not sure what to do if I can't find the plastic caps... I'm sure there has to be ones that are compatible, they look like any other cap on any other pool I've seen.

---edit---
Had a thought on if I can't find the two missing plastic tops. I suppose I could leave those off underneath the deck. Seems so red-neckish though. :mrgreen:

Are you set on "through the wall" lighting (has the hole already been cut through the wall for it)? I ask because Pentair makes a colored-led version of their Aqualuminator light that attaches through a return. I've seen one other version too that attaches to the return and kind of hangs down below it, but can't remember the manufacturer at the moment.

Invest in a good 2-speed pump (the Pentair Dynamo is a good one, btw). Your wallet will thank you when it comes time to pay the electric bill.

No hole's been cut, but since the existing skimmer and return hole are getting patched up and new ones will be cut, figure I'd cut a hole for a light since I'll be there! I thought the aqualuminator messed with the flow of the return, that's why I was shying away from that one.

Is this the other light you were talking about?
pool47.jpg

When I originally saw this one, I thought it hung over the side of the pool like all the other ones... Don't want that type. Might look into this one a little further.

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.