Buying a used AGP

Consider the pump/equipment, which will be attached to the skimmer. My first inclination was in the A-G area, maybe D or G? But where is that point in relation to your house? Will this location be convenient for servicing the equipment? After we put up our deck around our AG pool, now we have to walk all the way around the pool to get to the equipment, which is inconvient. 20/20 hindsight I would have put access to the equipment from the other side. So consider access when you choose your skimmer location too.

Here's the layout. Too close to the house and there's a whole drainage system for the yard underground, plus the septic tank, and leach field, plus it's a tad hilly. So, we're gonna put it out by the barn and make the kids walk. :evil:

pool28.jpg

crewchief47 said:
I'm not sure putting the deck move on youtube, or the net at all would be a good idea considering the 'legality' of moving something 10' wide down the road without the proper permits. Just saying.......

I live out in the Ohio cornbelt. Toss a slow moving vehicle triangle on the back, and you're good to go! (That's mostly optional too!) It's not uncommon seeing 16-18 feet wide machines and trailers running around here... :goodjob:

Hey... I just realized I've never taken apart a sand filter before. It looks like you loosen the clamp around the neck and pull the top off. Anything I should look out for while doing this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a copy of the owner's manual? If you post the filter info one of us may have a copy or you could prob get one from Hayward.

This may or may not be important to have right now, but it could come in very handy. :wink:

Butterfly said:
Do you have a copy of the owner's manual? If you post the filter info one of us may have a copy or you could prob get one from Hayward.

This may or may not be important to have right now, but it could come in very handy. :wink:

Got the rest of the pool today. Pics are forthcoming. Also got manuals and receipts and quotes back to 1998. I even have manuals for equipment I don't even have. ...and two tupperware lids for the skimmer!

Ok, got the whole pool now! The deck is the only thing left to get from the other house.

Here we go...

Buttresses and straps. Trust me, it was much easier to do it this way. Now I can take my time and grind off the old bolts. (Oh, and a bunch of bricks!)
pool30.jpg

Hold down plates. Amazingly in real good condition!
pool31.jpg

Filter with the laterals out... Couldn't figure out how to get that thing out until I read the directions! ('course that was followed immediately by a big, "DUH!")
pool32.jpg

A picture speaks a thousand words.
pool33.jpg

This is one of the nicer bolts I've been dealing with today.
pool34.jpg

The bottom rails... again, in amazingly good shape once I get them cleaned up. Might have to get one new one though.
pool35.jpg

So, all in all, it seems there's not a whole lot to a pool. I'm gonna take a break for a little bit before I tackle the deck. Which should be interesting to say the least. I have to go measure the width of the bridge in my driveway to see if it's even feasible...

...and as an aside, does anyone know if it's possible to get some parts hot dipped galavanized again? Or do they only do that with new steel?

---edit---

Ok, I've answered my question. Yes, it's possible to get it redipped. Usually around .50 cents a pound. However, some warpage will probably occur from the high heat. So I should probably just clean it up and use a zinc rich paint, or 'cold galvanizing' as one might say.

The parts that need regular paint, I'm seriously considering taking them down the road and get them powder coated. I should stop by there and see if I can get a quote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.