White powder-like substance on solar cover

coreyoreo

LifeTime Supporter
Hi, Newbie here, older pool, new pool owner, trying to get everything under control. Finally got chemicals under control, but now when the solar cover goes on, in the morning I see a white powder-like substance where any water that spilled onto the solar cover dried up. What is this? Is it Calcium? is it harmful? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks for ANY help... great site.

Corey

Thanks for the response. I don't think it's salt, as it's not a saltwater pool.

I suppose I could tell you what my test kit tells me, all I have is the test kit that compares colors in water samples, Ph & Chlorine levels appear to be "normal" according to the test kit & local pool supply store.

I used to chlorinate w/ tablets, but as of a few weeks ago, I use liquid. I also use liquid muriatic acid to maintain ph. I shock about once every 1-2 weeks.

Almost all pools will have some salt content, and certainly pools that use liquid chlorine which is sodium hypochlorite. :wink:

I highly advise you to get one of the recommended test kits. A properly maintained and chlorinated pool rarely, if ever, requires routine shocking. I have shocked my pool 5 times in three seasons - 3 extended vacations and two winterizations. :)

Ah.. see, don't I feel stupid now.. lol! :oops: Yeah, "sodium" chloride makes sense now...

I will immediately purchase one of the 3 kits you reccomended & post the results asap. Thank you very much.

In the mean time, is it normal to see this kind (or this much) of the substance on the solar cover?

How can I find out what it is without poisoning myself??

I see the white stuff all the time after the water evaporates. It's shows up great on the blue cover. It's harmless. It's a salt for sure, probably mostly NaCl, but could be Ca as well. Try boiling tap water in a pan and look at the residue that is left when the water is gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.