Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White powder-like substance on solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

White powder-like substance on solar cover

Hi, Newbie here, older pool, new pool owner, trying to get everything under control. Finally got chemicals under control, but now when the solar cover goes on, in the morning I see a white powder-like substance where any water that spilled onto the solar cover dried up. What is this? Is it Calcium? is it harmful? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks for ANY help... great site.

Corey
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White powder-like substance on solar cover

Could be calcium scale or it could be salt. How are you chlorinating, and can you post a full set of test results?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I don't think it's salt, as it's not a saltwater pool.

I suppose I could tell you what my test kit tells me, all I have is the test kit that compares colors in water samples, Ph & Chlorine levels appear to be "normal" according to the test kit & local pool supply store.

I used to chlorinate w/ tablets, but as of a few weeks ago, I use liquid. I also use liquid muriatic acid to maintain ph. I shock about once every 1-2 weeks.
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Almost all pools will have some salt content, and certainly pools that use liquid chlorine which is sodium hypochlorite.

I highly advise you to get one of the recommended test kits. A properly maintained and chlorinated pool rarely, if ever, requires routine shocking. I have shocked my pool 5 times in three seasons - 3 extended vacations and two winterizations.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah.. see, don't I feel stupid now.. lol! Yeah, "sodium" chloride makes sense now...

I will immediately purchase one of the 3 kits you reccomended & post the results asap. Thank you very much.

In the mean time, is it normal to see this kind (or this much) of the substance on the solar cover?

How can I find out what it is without poisoning myself??

6. Back To Top    #6

I get it (salt), I wouldn't worry about it....unless your CH is very high, then it could be scale. Test results would tell us more.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.. will do probably tomorrow.

As far as shocking.. you've only shocked 5 times in 3 seasons? Sheesh, I have so much to learn... Obviously, I've been the victim of another sales pitch..

How did you know when & when not to to shock? What should I look for?

8. Back To Top    #8

I see the white stuff all the time after the water evaporates. It's shows up great on the blue cover. It's harmless. It's a salt for sure, probably mostly NaCl, but could be Ca as well. Try boiling tap water in a pan and look at the residue that is left when the water is gone.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by coreyoreo
    How did you know when & when not to to shock? What should I look for?
    Check out pool school, it will answer most of your questions

pool-school/
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4