Motor bearings problem - repair or replace?

Jun 8, 2008
Starting about 3 weeks ago, motor seems to be making louder noise and supposedly it is due to faulty bearing. It is A.O. Smith E-Plus switchless motor 1.5 HP with model # 38468600. Local pool supply store doesn't seem to carry it. Another place that carries it is distributor and doen't deal with consumer. Anyone has experience with this sort of problem and how much it would cost to replace/repair this motor? Is there any compatible motor to this one that would not require new plumbing? If it cost too much, I am even thinking about either emptying the pool or just adding Crud load of borax/chlorine tabs and not use it for awhile. =( Thank you for any input in advance.

I just called Leslie's pool service to set up and appointment and told the nature of the problem, the lady on the line quoted me $11 for travelling charge and $90 to fix it. When I asked the lady whether there would be any other charge assuming it is only bearing problem, she said that would cover everything. Does Leslie's pool service dept have capability to service such problem around that price level or you think the lady just quoted me for typical service charge without knowing true nature of the problem that would incure additinal charge?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.