Impeller seems to be detached

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
I just moved my son into college for the last two days so I haven't been out to check the pool. When I came home today, I noticed the pump basket was full of water but there didn't seem to be any movement. I emptied the skimmer of many, many leaves and opened the pump basket to remove a very small amount of debris. When I replace everything and turned the pump back on, I heard a rattling noise and saw little water movement.

I unplugged the pump and reached in to feel the impeller, and it seemed to be loose in there... not attached. Of course, at this late date, I am looking for the easiest and most economical fix. Is is a big deal to change out an impeller? If it is not attached, could other damage have been caused? It may have been like this for at least two days.

I have been thinking about replacing this pump with something that has two-speeds as it has cost a fortune to run 24/7 this summer, but like I said, with it being so late in the season... I just don't know. I worked SO hard to achieve a sparkly pool this summer, it will be sad to watch it go green :(

The impeller change out isn't too complicated. Just be sure to order a new pump seal with the impeller and take note of what way it goes in when you remove the old one. Depending on the impeller you'll probably be able to get out of it for under $50 with shipping.

You will need to get the correct part number off of the old impeller, I think that it took 8 screws to remove the cover off of the housing after removing the strainer. (Watch out when putting the strainer back on, the clip can break easily.) I think that this is the correct impeller Ebay item number 400069231274. Check yours before ordering.
Mike

Well, my impeller is in the same condition as when I last wrote. A handy friend promised to come over a few times to check it out so far, but he has shown yet. The weather here has been quite nice, a little on the cool side, so we are not missing swimming.

I just wanted to post an observation. Since I started with a swamp, when I finally cleared it, I ran the pump 24/7 the entire summer and it was beautiful and clear. I was almost afraid to turn it off for fear of the green monster returning. Now since it has broken, I am on the 9th day and my pool is still crystal clear. Twice in the last 9 days, I have gone out and 'broadcast' a large bottle of bleach into the pool. I know that is not a preferred method, but I was very careful and did it in small increments to get good coverage. I am just amazed that without any circulation at all, this pool is still clear.

We have had full sun, but the temps have been mostly in the 70s. I have a cover coming this week, so I am just going to close it. I've read in Pool School to bring the pool to shock level for 24 hours with the pump running before covering, is there a safe way to do this without any circulation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.