Which lights for my pool?

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
28' gunite pool w/ light greay plaster
I'm installing 3x Oasis Nova Falls 18" fiber lit Waterfalls (or similar, any recomendations?)
Since I'm going to have the illuminator already, what will be the best, most cost effective way to light the pool with colors? I don't see why I need a lot of light. It's more for the look than functionality. Would fiber lights be too dim or require too many to be inexpensive? Are led's too dim? Anyone have the fiberstars Jazz lights, are they bright? They can be synchronized with the fiber illuminator which would be cool. 12v vs. 120v? Help, I'm lost with too many choices.

if you are getting oasis nova falls - my suggestion would be to look at their savi system

use a SaVI source LED fibre iluminator instead of the noisy halide ones

you can then match the colour change up in the pool with the savi note/ savi melody light system

we have sold around 300+ of these lights in the last year or so, and our clients love them

cost will work out better than full fibre optic system

due to the wavelength of the LED light in the water they are not only brighter but also carry the colour better with a wider beam spread than you get from fibre

Man, the Nexxus site sure isn't very user friendly. Definately geared towards the builder that already know what he wants. I'm having trouble finding a SaVI source LED fibre iluminator, do you have a link? Is the M4 what I would need to sync it all? If I understand correctly, the M4 will link the illuminator and the Savi LED pool and spa light so that I can sync it all up? Thanks for your help.

edit:
I can't find the Savi Source anywhere. What is the price on it? What is the wattage equivalent? How many strands does it hold? All I can find is the manual;
http://www.svlighting.com/products/LED/savi_source.html
Maybe I could get the waterfalls that come with the LED driver, like this;
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/03300021048059.htm
Or use the same waterfalls I was planning and use one of these;
http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinfo.a ... =388635821
75 watt equivalent, is that bright enough for 3 waterfalls?

And do you suggest using multiple Savi notes or melody's vs. using one of these savi lights;
http://www.inyopools.com/lights_savi.aspx

If so, how many notes/melody's would be sufficeint for a 28' long pool as shown in my other post;
diy-pool-project-t11004.html

And finally, what is the difference in the note vs. the melody?

With the M4, can I have different colors for each of the 4 units, or do they all have to be synchronized to be alike?

Sorry for so many questions but I really appreciate it.

I have the Melody installed and the only difference between it and the Note is that the Melody has the control circuits included in the light body, so no external control system needed. If you wire them all to a single switch, then they will all sync up.

There is no way to unsync the Melodys if they are hooked to the same power source and switch. The power on/off sequence is what determines the color or mode. However, if you add a switch after the transformer, you are only dealing with 12 volts A/C and just a few amps, so you can use a small switch.

For the cost of the M4, I think the Melody is the way to go. Anyone have any experiece with the X-Stream LED fiber driver? Brightness? Work for three 18" 50 fiber strand nova falls? How many melody's for the main light in my pool/spa?

My PB installed 2 Melodys in my pool 25' long x 13' wide. They were placed about 7 foot from each end along the long end. 1 installed in the spa. The two pool lights are on one switch and the spa light on a separate switch. The switches were put with the equipment and the electrican wanted too much $ to put them inside. So I was thinking of getting wireless switches, but decided to run hard wire to switches inside the house. Since it is after the transformer, I only need bell wire (16 ga) or so.

Only two huh, I thought I was gonna have to go with three. That's good news. You're happy with the brightness I presume? No I just need to figure out the placement, because those bar stools are kinda in the way. Maybe since theyre so small I can place them in the corners, one in the deep end and the other near the reaf step.

Well, I'd let you know if I was happy or not if my pool was completed. Was supposed to be filled this week, but still waiting for the electrician and the dry inspection. Anyway, I should know sometime next week.

I was very concerned with only two of those small lights in my pool, but the PB assured me it would be enough, especially with our mostly white pool interior. In retrospect, I should have sent a plan of my pool to Nexxus to see if they had any thoughts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cool, keep me informed when you get it filled. I sent my prints to Nexxus a couple days ago and got this response;
Nathan,
I have copied our pool sales division and tech support to try to better your questions.
Sincerely,
John C. Gonzalez
Technical Support Representative

I am still waiting for a response from the pool sales division. I'll let you know what they have to say.

Sorry for the delay. Electrician bought the wrong junction box for my lights and it took an entire WEEK to get the right one. Here are some photos.

You can see in the deep end that there is some shadow. I thought they put out a 180 or close to that beam, but maybe not.

[attachment=1:2tk00o2j]P9163059.JPG[/attachment:2tk00o2j][attachment=0:2tk00o2j]P9163061.JPG[/attachment:2tk00o2j]

Attachments

• P9163059.JPG
    P9163059.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 576
  • P9163061.JPG
    P9163061.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 573
NullQwerty said:
So basically, do you just have this kit and nothing else?
http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... =327063535

That is correct. Although I have one additional light in the spa. Notice the large shadow in the deep end. Not terrible, but I suppose had I put the lights lower, this would not be so bad.

Another thing about these lights is that there is no red. The smooth transition feature is nice.

Currently I'm fighting with the PB to get him to add a switch so that I can shut off the spa vs pool lights that I talked to him about 2 months ago. I checked with Nexxus and it is as simple as adding a standard wall switch AFTER the transformer (ie. 12 volts AC). So currently I have a main switch before the transformer that turns on all 3.

Another question on these lights. Is this considered a wet niche? Do I still need a junction (deck) box for these or can they be wired straight to the transformer?

edit: In case anyone else is looking for this answer, after some more digging I see that a deck box is not required. I really hope my inspector knows what he is talking about and doesnt harrass me on this.

Low voltage light wiring, grey conduit or white

Anyone know if these need to be grey pipe into the shell or just the regular white pvc that the rest of the pool is plumbed with?
"The SAVI MELODY fits into a standard return fitting with a minimum 14 inches of 1.5” diameter PVC pipe. Then reduce to a 1” diameter conduit for the cable run to the transformer."
They make it sound like you can use the white pipe into the shell then reduce to grey. Is that up to code?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.