Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie getting pool under control, I hope

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie getting pool under control, I hope

After several days of adding chlorine, brushing, and filtering, water has been looking nice and clear the past few days although brushing does lead to some little dusty light yellowish-brown clouds that I *hope* aren't live mustard algae. Took sample to Leslie's a couple days ago and they said chlorine was above 10PPM, too high for them to do a full test. Took another sample in today (my FAS-DPD kit is on order) and results are:
    FAC 5
    TAC 5
    pH 7.4
    TA 120
    Calcium Hardness 200
    CYA 50
    TDS 1300
    Phosphates 400 (Leslie's guy says PO4's are "really high" but from what I've read here, i just need to make sure I keep the Chlorine level up, right?)

So from the FAC/CYA chart and calculator it looks like I should add another 21 oz. of 10% liquid chlorine to move from current FAC to target of 6, right?
    Thanks! It's great to be able to post questions to pool users who *aren't* trying to sell me more pool chemicals!
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie getting pool under control, I hope

Your numbers look pretty good but don't be surprised if YOUR kit shows very different numbers. You're doing the right thing by bumping your FC up a little.

Once you get your kit you can do an overnite chlorine drop test and then you won't have to guess whether it's something growing or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you confirm your CYA level? On your intro post you list it as 70.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the current CYA result is 50, the 70 was from the last time I had a sample tested at Leslie's in mid-July.
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Good, then keep the FC according to the CYA chart and you should be ok. Yes, phosphates are irrelevant if your maintain proper FC levels.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com