1st Test, New Pool

Jun 26, 2009
Ripon, Ca
I have had our new pool filled for approx. 3 weeks; PB is taking care of water chemistry for 1st 30 days. My water is not as clear as what i've invisioned. Here are my 1st test results. What should be added to pool to even chemistry numbers and also make my pool sparkeling clear?

pH 8.0
CH 220 ppm
TA 140-180 ppm
FC 1.0 ppm
CC .4 ppm
CYA 11-13 ppm

Thank-you in advance...

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It looks like your pH and TA are on the high side, which can put you at risk for calcium scaling. You want to bring your pH down to 7.8 or less, 7.5 would be great. You can use the Pool Calculator to help you figure out how much acid to use to bring down the pH. (Pour acid slowly in front of a return jet with the pump on, so it will circulate into the water without damaging anything.)

I'm not familiar with pebblefina but it would seem to be in the "plaster" class of pool surfaces, so for the first year or so you are likely to see the pH keep wanting to go up. You need to keep an eye on that and make sure it does not go above 7.8.

What is the PB putting in the water? Your CYA is also pretty low, and it will be hard to maintain adequate FC unless the CYA comes up to somewhere in the 30-50 range.
--paulr

Consider using trichlor chlorine tablets at first - they are acidic so they'll keep the ph in check and they will slowly build up your CYA levels to where they need to be. Eventually you will want to stop using them to prevent the CYA from getting too high, and switch to bleach. Ideally you should install in an inline chlorinator if you want to go this route, or a floater. Don't put tabs in the skimmer unless the pump runs 24/7...

You should discuss this with your PB. You don't want to do anything that would void his warranty. If you are concerned with the clarity discuss this with him. There is an article in Pool School called start up new plaster, and keeping the PH in check is very important. Depending on the type of startup, brushing is important too. You should really communicate your concerns with the PB and make sure you are both on the same page. :wink:

You ought to study this http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up and then have a conversation with the PB to see what procedures are being followed now and what you are to do when it becomes your job to maintain.

A quick review of that suggests brush, brush, brush, and keep up on acid to maintain pH and reduce dust. That ought to lower the TA as well over time.

CYA can be raised fast or slow, PB may have a plan for that or may just be waiting on pucks to add slowly. Ask them.

Whoops - I learned something new re: new plaster pools. I guess you'll have to try more modest increases in FC to handle anything that may be growing. 1 ppm FC and 0.4 CC along with claims of water less-than-clear seems consistent with needing a little more FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.