Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump flow set too low for SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump flow set too low for SWG?

I'm thinking that I might not be running my pump fast enough for my SWG to be totally efficient. The "enough flow" light is set. Without solar, I'm running at 25GPM.

However, I notice that I see what I assume are little chlorine bubbles coming out of the return lines and bubbling to the surface, so I assume this is chlorine which is not dissolved in the water.

So that got me to thinking that maybe my SWG would be a bit more effective if I ramped up my pump, but I'd rather run slower to save on my electric bill. Last summer when I ran my pumps much harder and my bill was higher, I don't recall seeing these bubbles.

15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

2. Back To Top    #2

Glendora, California

Re: Pump flow set too low for SWG?

I have not seen a difference in my FC levels when running my pump at a speed that "prevents" the bubbles. If you search the SWG forum for bubbles you find that these are hydrogen bubbles and not chlorine gas.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump flow set too low for SWG?

bubbles are normal...part of the reasoning why we suggest lower TA level for folks with a SWG as it tends to aerate...25GPM seems reasonable to me
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator