Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ants causing outlet damage??

1. Back To Top    #1

ants causing outlet damage??

Anyone ever have a problem with ants getting into the outlet and causing a shortage? We had a problem when we opened the pool, the pump kept tripping the circuit breaker. When we took out the old outlet, there was an ant nest in there, with enough ants to start a horror movie...eggs and everything.

A lot of rain the other day, and since then, every time I try to plug in the pump, it trips the circuit breaker. At first I thought it was from all the rain, but now I'm wondering if there could be ants in there again. Not looking forward to going through that mess again, but I suppose I don't have any choice. Pump hasn't been run in three days...I won't be able to change the outlet for about two more. Think I will have an algae mess on my hands by then?? I've been adding extra bleach, and trying to circulate as much as possible...trouble free...ha! Whoever came up with that name certainly did not know me!!
    24 ft AG pool, Hayward DE filter, 1 hp pump
    Would insurance pay for a new pool if that big tree fell in it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: ants causing outlet damage??

Ants love electrical equipment. Almost as much as spiders love propane appliances.

The best prevention is to have your exterminator spray around the pool equipment everytime they spray.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit