Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: dead mouse in skimmer, shock pool for how long?

dead mouse in skimmer, shock pool for how long?

Hello all,

just got home & went to turn on the pump & there was a dead mouse in the skimmer, it may have been in there 36 hours, I checked the skimmer Sunday 9 am it is now Monday 4 pm

My question is how long should I shock for?

Thanks

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 250# new sand -1 hp sta-rite dura glass pump-TF-100

Re: dead mouse in skimmer, shock pool for how long?

The rule of thumb is to shock until your overnight FC loss is 1ppm or less and your CC is < .5.
    24' Round AGP | 13,600 Gallons | Waterway Cartridge Filter | Waterway 2 Speed Pump | K-2006 Test Kit
    100% Trouble Free Since The Baqua Conversion

Senior Member In the Industry

Yeah, your test results will probably not indicate the need to shock at all.

That said, it's always safe to bring your FC up to shock level one time just to get some extra sanitizing in your pool.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Thanks, there are no CC right now.

I will bring it up to shock level now & keep it there over night>

Thanks again

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 250# new sand -1 hp sta-rite dura glass pump-TF-100

My pool is at the edge of a big field. I get two or three mice a year for the last forty years and I never do anything other than throw the mouse into the pond. It just doesn't bother me anymore.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

I don't shock my pool to compensate for dead critters. If I did we'd nearly always be swimming at shock levels.

In early spring it's the flying ants, billions of them in the skimmer sock and PoolSkim net. They're followed by several pounds of Japanese beetles which are soon displaced by large grasshoppers. Right now it's cicadas and boy howdy! are they ugly!

I run my chlorine levels at the upper suggested end for the CYA during the height of critter season. The only time I've ever shocked the pool was when my old dog had a poop accident in the water but even that was probably not entirely necessary given the waste products left behind by small (and not so small) children (and probably some adults) in pools. A dead mouse in the skimmer is probably one of our lesser problems.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

I occassionally get dead chipmunks in the pool or the skimmer and I've never shocked because of it.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

Does anyone make dead mouse strips?
    "Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?"
    27,000 gal plaster in-ground
    Compupool 40k SWG from eBay - works great!
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE
    1.4 HP Hayward Northstar pump
    Two FAFCO Solar Bear panels now heating the pool!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I don't shock my pool to compensate for dead critters. If I did we'd nearly always be swimming at shock levels.
    Ditto - We get at least 1-2 mice a week, plus frogs, worms, grasshoppers, crickets, beetles, even the occasional snake.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    22.5k gal. (est.) IG Dark Plaster Pool (2007)
    Jandy Stealth SHPM 2.0HP Pump ~100gpm
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris 9300 Bot/Cleaner
    Jandy AE-Ti AE2000T Heat Pump
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~