Pump/Filter Pressure Question

debrann

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2009
Plainfield, IN 46168
FC 5.5 CC <.5 PH 7.5 TA 100 CYA 40

Hi! :-D We are on our first season with a pool that was built late last summer. Since we opened, we have ran the pump 24/7 with no problems. After studying this website, we decided to only run the pump about 12 hours per day. We have a hayward pump with 4 filters. We have tried several times to shut the pump off for several hours, but when we turn it back on, the pressure raises 6 - 8 psi and does not lower. If we do not shut the pump off, we can go up to 2 weeks without cleaning the filters and the pressure does not raise. Our pool is very clean (we vacuum weekly), so we cannot understand why the pressure increases each time we turn pump off. We would appreciate your help, since it would be nice to run the pump less and lower our utility bills.
Thank you,
Debbie :wave:

I'm not sure I fully understand what is happening. If you shut down the pump and restart it later, the PSI raises 6-8 PSI. But when and how does it go back down 6-8 PSI? You said if you don't shut down the pump it is lower by 6-8 PSI but even then you had to start it at some point which meant it started out 6-8 PSI higher. So please give some more details on exactly what the PSI (absolute) is and when and under what conditions.

It could just be a stuck gauge, try tapping on it.

After cleaning the filters, it runs at approx. 8. It will hold at that for at least a week, sometimes 2, before going over 10 when we are running the pump all the time. If we shut the pump off, when we turn it back on it jumps up 6-8 psi, for a total of 14 - 16 psi. It does not go back down until we take it apart and clean the filters. The filters always appear to be clean when this happens. It does not appear to be stuck. If you have any other questions, let me know. I am new at this and have a hard time explaining the situation. Thanks for all your help!
Debbie

Hi! :-D Right now we are still running the pump 24/7, since we don't want to clean the filters everyday. :cry:
We would really like to lower utility costs and conserve energy by shutting the pump off part of the time. :mrgreen: If I haven't made our issue clear, please feel free to ask more questions. Our pump works perfectly (pressure at 8) except that the pressure goes up to 14 -16 every time we shut it off and turn it back on, unless we clean the filters, then the pressure stays at 8. We would really appreciate any input you have.
Thank you so much for your help! :salut:
Debbie :wave:

A 4 cartridge filter should not get that dirty in such a short period of time. I have a 4 cartridge filter and a 20k gallon pool and I hardly get a 1 PSI rise after 6 months without a cleaning. What is the model # (size) of filter that you have?

Something may be wrong with the filters but it is hard to say. Have you soaked them overnight in a cleaner (e.g. dishwasher soap) recently? If not, you might try that. Also, check to see if there is any hard scale on the filters. That would need to removed with an acid soak after the cleaning soak.

Also, 24/7 should not be needed for your size pool. I have a 1 HP Hayward pump as well and am currently running it about 8 hours/day so you should only need about half that or 4 hours/day. I would go down to 6-8 hours and see if that keeps the pool clean.

How is the flow from the returns before you shut it off and when you restart it at the higher pressure? Higher pressure with lower flow indicates clogging, but higher pressure with higher flow could indicate that a flow restriction or priming issue has resolved during the shut off time.

Hi! Right now, we have purchased new filters and are soaking the old ones in dishwasher detergent. We will let you all know how it does with the new filters. We will turn it off tonight and back on in the morning. We appreciate everyones interest and help so much. Hopefully the new filters and cleaning the old ones will take care of it. We have used floc for phosphates this year per instructions from the pool supply company, after testing our water at the beginning of the season. We realize now that we are on the BBB we should not need to worry about phosphates. We have rinsed the filters well, but have not soaked them at all. Hopefully, we will be good with the new filters. We will let you all know.
Thanks so much for the help!
Debbie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.