Very cloudy water will not clear

Aug 17, 2009
Chesapeake,VA
Let me start by saying I am new to the BBB method. But I purchased a DPD test kit and did all the tests and added what the pool calculator stated I needed. This morning my numbers seem to be good but the cloudy water has not changed. It is not green just very cloudy. The pool is only 3 1\2 feet deep and you cannot see the bottom. I have cleaned the filter cartridge several times hoping that would help clear the water, it hasn't. The filter cartridge is not old either. These are the numbers:
FC- 3
TC- 5
CC- 2
PH- 7.6
TA- 110ppm
CH- 30ppm
CYA- 40ppm

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to clear the water? I am running the pump 24/7 at this point because I am afraid if I don't it will turn from cloudy to green. I am truly at a loss. I don't want to drain the pool if I don't have to, but it looks like this may be my only option. All suggestion are welcome!!

You'd do well to run your chlorine higher. The CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School recommends 5ppm for CYA at 40ppm.

Running the filter 24/7 and frequent cartridge cleaning is the best treatment. How is the filter pressure compared to when the filter was brand new? You may be clogging the filter more quickly than you expect.

Actually the cartridge is new and the pressure is running at about 6. When it gets dirty it tends to run at about 10. When I started this endeavor the pool looked like a swamp. So it has required frequent cleaning to clear out all the algae. Now it is just cloudy and I don't know what else to do to change that. My husband wanted to try something he saw at the pool store called Pool First Aid (I think). But I am skeptical as most of that stuff doesn't seem to work. I would rather have an opinion from someone who is not trying to sell me something.

With 2 ppm CC, it looks like you are still fighting an active algae bloom. You need to maintain shock levels of FC (relative to your CYA levels - see sections in Pool School and fighting algae for the chart you need to consult) until your overnight FC loss is less than 1 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.