SW pool with some algae issues

tralyn

Aug 23, 2009
I was wondering. I know I need to get a better test kit cause I am wondering if my salt levels are just low enough to not trigger an alarm, but not high enough to pump lots of chlorine into the pool. I've had to shock it a couple of times, esp after a rain cause my swg couldn't seem to catch up. Next year I'm getting a slighter bigger pump too.

Wanted to ask about using BBB in a salt pool, is it okay? I have some black algae that is literally melded to the vinyl.. brushing does not much. other slight algae but I'm trying to get caught up with vacuuming.

Bleach I understand for chlorine, what do Baking Soda and Borax add to the mix? I read in the BBB starter thread but maybe I just missed it.

Also.. I've seen some Salt Cell Saver from HTH in Walmart... Is it really worth it? or just something to waste money on.

Thanks.
Traci

The whole thing about BBB and the "TFP method" is the key is accurate testing and the knowledge to know what to do with those test results. So you do need a good test kit if you want to take control of your pool.

BBB stands for a few things, but an SWG is just the method of delivery of chlorine, as opposed to manually using Bleach (one of the B's) so yes, you can use BBB with an SWG.

Baking Soda raises TA and Borax raises PH.

You can also use Borax to add "Borates" to your pool - more advanced pool chemistry.

Black Algae is virtually unheard of in a Vinyl pool. Why do you think it's Black Algae? :shock:

If you have visible algae, you do need to shock, and you should use liquid chlorine or bleach to shock your pool - but first you need a good kit. :wink: Read the articles in Pool School for more information. I highly recommend the TF100 or the Taylor K2006, you should also get some Aquachek Salt Test Strips.

I'll be picking up a test kit this week.

There are spots of very dark algae, looks black to me and you can't scrub them off really, they are super tough, mostly in the area of my pool that I know doesn't get as good circulation as the rest, even though its round, which is why I'm replacing the pump for next season.

To echo what FPM said. You really should consider either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 test kit. Neither of which you can "pick up". You have to order them online. Leslies sells a self branded K-2006 but the stores don't carry it as a rule. I highly recommend the TF-100 sold by our very own Dave S. (aka. Duraleigh). You won't regret getting it!

tralyn said:
I'll be picking up a test kit this week.

There are spots of very dark algae, looks black to me and you can't scrub them off really, they are super tough, mostly in the area of my pool that I know doesn't get as good circulation as the rest, even though its round, which is why I'm replacing the pump for next season.

I'm still skeptical of true "black algae" which is round, perhaps raised and about the size of a pencil eraser they tend to radiate outward. They have a tough outer shell or "head" that is resistant to chlorine. Usually what happens is brushing knocks the heads off and then chlorine can get to the inside to kill. If you don't see "visible" difference thru brushing, it's unlikely that its true black algae. Maybe some other kind of organic staining....or metal staining. Try taking a vitamin C tablet and rubbing it on the stain, see if that does anything.

Have you shocked the pool? Do the stains fade at all when the pool is at shock level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.