Will a freeze damage a cartridge filter?

Jul 15, 2007
I have a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 filter which worked fine until we had a freeze (13 degrees) last winter. I suspected the cartridges may have been damaged so I replaced them but it still appears that something is wrong. I kust returned from a trip and found the pool water itself to be clear but lots of what appears to be dead algae on the bottom. When I vacumn it up I can see dirty water coming back out through the return lines. I have checked the bottom mamifold and the top assembly and can not find any cracks or breaks.
I do not want to continue replacing parts that may not need to be replaced.
Any ideas?????

Does your filter pressure read normally, ie what you are used to seeing? Usually freeze damage causes obvious leaks, but there are still quite a few other possibilities. The main valve might have been damaged and could be allowing water to go around the filter.

JasonLion said:
Does your filter pressure read normally, ie what you are used to seeing? Usually freeze damage causes obvious leaks, but there are still quite a few other possibilities. The main valve might have been damaged and could be allowing water to go around the filter.

No visible exterior leaks. Pressure reads at 18 psi which appears to be normal for a clean set of cartidges. No valves on return side since there is no spa or return line control.

I had dirt coming out of my jets when I vacuumed and found that the manifold was not sitting properly in the return hole, so I was just moving dirty water around for about a 2 weeks. :oops: My water got pretty cloudy and fixing this cleared it up in a day.

buddywiser said:
I had dirt coming out of my jets when I vacuumed and found that the manifold was not sitting properly in the return hole, so I was just moving dirty water around for about a 2 weeks. :oops: My water got pretty cloudy and fixing this cleared it up in a day.

Thanks, I will check that out.
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.