Pool Leak

Aug 8, 2009
I have a really badly cracked skimmer that I (tried) to fix with A&B Epoxy. I thought the repair looked good, myself, but the pool is still leaking. I assumed through the skimmer since it was cracked. I tried the food color test, and I do not see any sign of where the leak is. So, now I'm thinking it must be elsewhere?

My questions are:

Is it possible to fix a cracked skimmer or should I call for a repair?

If it is the skimmer would there be an obvious flow from the food coloring test?

Last, I have read the Pool School leak detection article and have no idea what you mean by plugging the inlets. How do you do that?

Thank you ahead of time for any advice you can give me.
Anita
Santa Rosa, CA

Attachments

• poolschoolsig.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 5
1) 15,000 gallons
2) DE Filter
3) IG (in ground)
4) Plaster
5) 1/2 HP Pump
6) Heater
7) Santa Rosa, CA

I tried to add a signature and failed miserably - this is the information that was supposed to be in my sig line.

Anita
^..^

Hi and welcome to TFP!!

As you're out on the left coast, you probably don't close your pool and therefore wouldn't have any winterizing plugs on hand :) If you have threaded return inlets, an 1 1/2" threaded plug will seal them (wrapped with teflon tape) or you can use the rubber plugs that have a wingnut on them (the wingnut tightens down and compresses the plug so that it fully seals the pipe). These are used, in conjunction with a marked bucket, to check whether the leak is in the pipes or in the body of the pool.

I know your having trouble with posting your sig (hopefully, one of the mods will be along to help - I'm about hopeless in using a computer :lol: ) Is there any chance of posting pics of the skimmer? (I use Photobucket - it takes me a try or 2, but I can eventually post pics here).

The A&B epoxy is a 'Bandaid' for skimmer cracks - it may allow you to stop or reduce the water loss for a while - but in the long run, you need a new skimmer :( There are also tips I can give you on applying it for the best chance of fully sealing :wink:

As for the dye test, in VERY still water squeeze the bottle just enough to make the drop come slightly out of the tip, then - with slow hand motions - bring it close to any suspect area and watch the see if the dye is drawn out of the bottle.

Sorry you're having this problem, but am glad you found us :goodjob:

I know ~ as much as the author of the Leak Detection article :roll: and will do my best to help you figure out where your leak is and how to fix it :angel:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.