Newbie with first test results - good or bad?

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
just got the keys to the new place and the pool looks as great as it did when we saw the house previously.
first thing i did was use my trusty tf100 and hopeflly i ran the tests right - here are the results, followed by what i think my next steps are - please tell me if I'm right :)
FC - .5
TC - .5
TA - 100
CH - 420
CYA - 60
pH - 7.5

next steps, based on pool calculator:
- increase FC by adding 2 tri-chlor tablets (this is what the owners used and what i'll be using until we get settled in and i can change over to BBB)
- TA is OK
- CH is high, we'll decrease it by replacing about 20-30% water
- CYA is high , probably due to the tri-chlor.. we'll decrease it by replacing about 20-30% water
- pH OK

how did i do? thanks in advance.. this forum is great!

If you replace some of the water to lower the CYA you can continue to use the pucks. Just keep a close eye on the PH/TA and CYA levels while their in use, and you'll still need to monitor the chlorine levels, it's entirely possible the pucks won't be able to maintain the proper FC level required for the CYA level (post-drain/refill).

Is it possible to do an overnight loss test? The fact that the chlorine was so low indicates the possibility that you may need to shock the pool.

Hey. Pat,

First the very important part.....put chlorine in your pool using clorox. You'll probably need about a small jug each day but using the pool calulator and the test kit will tell you exactly how much to put in. Your chlorine should be around 5-7ppm all the time. Go ahead and bring it up to that imediately....your chlorine is too low now.

Nix the tablets. You have the max amount you want of CYA in your pool right now. Do not add any more CYA. Save them for next year. They have a great shelf life and they will be convenient for you next year.

You are switched to BBB right now. BBB is carefully testing your water and knowing (learning) what to do about the results.

YOur CH is fine but manageable do not be in a hurry to lower it. It'll get lower on it's own over the winter.

Get your FC up around 5-7ppm and go swimming. The rest of your numbers are very workable.

EDIT: I am suggesting this path so you don't do a partial drain/refill. I do not believe it is necessary this late in the season. FPM's path will work if you drain.

Thanks again - my previous post that was inadvertently deleted is below, but i ended up adding about 196 oz of reg bleach to the pool and FC went to 6 - unfortunately, I can't do a overnight test yet b/c we're not moved in and getting there in the morning with a toddler is kinda tough. we'll be moved in at the end of the week though - so I'll do a test then. I also have a question about all the tubes coming out from / to the filter/pool, but i wanted to take some pictures first. please come back if you see an update to the post from me :) Also, Dave - thanks for the PM.. got it!!

***PREVIOUS POST***
OK, I'm game.. I'll buy some clorox and follow Dave's suggestions.. Thanks so much..
We did take a 10 min dip in the pool b/c it looked too inviting - hopefully that's OK.

a few other quick questions..
- it's suppose to rain alot in the next few days .. what should i do to help protect the pool? should i cover it? or just drain it a little if the water goes higher than the norm?
- how often should i run the polaris vacuum?
- the filter pressure gauge is around 10-15.. i know if it's over 20, i should run a backwash .. but what about if it's super low?

Thanks again.. so excited!

For an inground pool, the major rain risk is flooding getting grunge into the pool. If that doesn't happen, you just drain it a bit if the level gets too high.

I run my Polaris about 2 hrs per day. What you need depends on how much debris (leaves etc) you get in the pool. You could start it at 2-3 hours and see if it's keeping up.

If the filter pressure goes low, that typically means the pump isn't able to pull as much water as it used to. Probably some kind of blockage in the skimmer or main drain (are they plugged with leaves?).
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.