Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greetings all, Newbie to the forum

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings all, Newbie to the forum

Hi - I'm Martin and have just finished building a vinyl lined, wood walled pool on a slope. I've perused this forum for a few weeks and am impressed with the camaraderie and info disseminated. Pool School is very nice - kudos to those who compiled all the data and directions.

Since I'm starting up the pool, I've ordered the TF100 test kit. The local pool store gave me the following #s this AM:

pH 7.4
    TA 60
    TC 0
    CH 80
    CYA 0

I've added a gal. of 6% bleach every other evening since Sunday. With no CYA, I guess it's gone in no time. I'm ~50 miles north of Los Angeles and we get LOTS of sun.

From the Pool Calculator I estimate I'll need 2.5#s baking soda, 4 #s CYA and a little more than 2 qts of 12.5% liquid chlorine. Do I need to shock the pool?

Thanx, Martin
    17k gal., sorta IG vinyl, 1.5 hp pump, 21" sand filter, Shark robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings all, Newbie to the forum

You should keep adding your bleach but I think I would do it nightly since there is no CYA in the water right now. You need to get some CYA in there to help with slowing down your chlorine loss during the day time with the hot sun!

Welcome to the forum BTW and some pics of your pool build would be nice if you have any to share. We always love to see pics !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

From your numbers it doesn't really look like it. It's hard to tell though without a full set of numbers. Especially FC and CC. You also need to do an overnite chlorine drop test. You can do that once you get the test kit.

Right now I'd go ahead and add the CYA at a return or in the skimmer and add the recommended chlorine. Then you can add the baking soda.

I'd add about 48oz of chlorine a day until you get the kit just to make sure you're keeping the FC up. If you get it a little high, you can always let it drift down once you get a good test on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Martin,

Congrats for getting off to a good start with your new pool

I agree that you should get your CYA in ASAP. Also, since you have "lots of sun", you might want to think about CYA of 40 instead of 30.

Ditto on the "we love pix"!

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanx for the encouragement. Got the CYA and baking soda in tonight.

After reading all the concern about excessive CYA on vinyl, I thought I'd wait a week before bumping it higher. Since I use a sand filter would the backwash/waste water compensate for the CYA if I used an in-line Trichlor tablet feeder? I've read about the evils of tablets but would like the convenience.

I took some pix of the construction project - where should I post them - here or under construction?

Here is the present progress - ladders and enclosure for the cover are next.

Later, Martin

6. Back To Top    #6

Boy, you sure have a pretty view from your beautiful new pool.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

7. Back To Top    #7

I second that, you have a gorgeous view

Beautiful pool
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

8. Back To Top    #8

Stunning view! Very nice pool, too

It would be great if you started a thread in the construction forum for the build project.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanx again for the compliments. It's hard to believe this is only an hour from LA.

That's the Leona Valley Vineyards below ( nice of them to have planted it after I bought the place ). We have cherry, pear and apple orchards along with horse ranches. Fortunately the horses are far enough away so we don't have the flies.

Here's a shot from 2 years ago:

I'll make a thread in the build section.

Martin

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by morrodds
    After reading all the concern about excessive CYA on vinyl, I thought I'd wait a week before bumping it higher. Since I use a sand filter would the backwash/waste water compensate for the CYA if I used an in-line Trichlor tablet feeder? I've read about the evils of tablets but would like the convenience.
    Backwashing wouldn't really help enough. Suppose you need to add 10ppm FC per week (around 1.5ppm per day, not unreasonable in summertime). If that's all from the tabs, you will also get 6ppm CYA. So, in a month you've raised CYA by around 25. Let's say you started at CYA 50 (again not unreasonable for a sunny climate) then after a month you're at 75, and need to dump 1/3 of your water to get back to 50. Now each pool is different but whether it takes 1 month or 2, eventually your CYA will be too high. You're not going to backwash that much, not in a clean pool.

The tabs are great for vacations, but for everyday I'd use at most one at a time just as a supplementary source of FC.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by morrodds
    After reading all the concern about excessive CYA on vinyl,
    I haven't read anything about that. What do you mean?

Your pool is gorgeous, Martin, as well as the area you live. Enjoy your new pool!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)