Greenish stuff that I can't brush off!! Need your advice!

vwtoys

Aug 20, 2009
My pool turned green and so I went and got a bunch of liquid chlorine from HD to shock it. Prior to shocking I adjusted the pH since it was a little high. I tried brushing and I realized that my plaster pool bottom also turned green and brushing it barely pushes the green stuff away. I shocked it anyway thinking that it might kill the stuff that's stuck and can brush it off after it starts clearing up. The next 2 days the pool cleared up, the water was clear but now all i see is the bottom of my pool is green. I tried a wire brush to no avail. Do you think it's a metals problem? I never put in metal based algaecides, or dropped a nail or other stuff in it, just straight Liq chlorine and muriatic acid. A couple months ago I drained half my pool and refilled it, since the pool store guy said my solids (metals??) were a little high and I should get half the old water out. It was fine for 2 months while I used liquid chlorine for shocking. And when it turned green this last time the bottoms were "stained". Help!!

It's a 25000gal plaster pool, DE, IG. I'd post a picture but i have to upload it from my phone first.

pH was closer to 8 before shocking and adjusting pH. FC was 0 but I brought it to 12 to shock.

I live in Los Angeles. I filled it with regular tap water. And I do not have a heater. This started happening just about a week or so ago. The last 2.5 months the new water has been fine for the most part, and no funny colors showed up, until last week. 95% of the pool bottom is covered with this greenish stuff, which had a hue just like the algae that was there.

finally got my phone picture. I took it after sunset so it's a little dark. But you can see patches of blue remaining. The green stuff took over most of the pool. At the bottom of the steps you can see a lighter ring and that's where my Navigator likes to dig into a lot, and it's lighter there.
poolgreen.jpg

Put a chlorine tablet on the staining. If the surface fades under the puck, the stains are organic. If they are organic, you need to shock and with frequent brushing, the elevated chlorine level should fade them. Your shock level is based on your CYA level and can be found on the CYA chart.

If the chlorine tablet doesn't do anything, try rubbing the stain with a Vitamin C tablet, see if that changes the stain at all. If it does, the staining is metal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.