Just Converted High TA

Aug 18, 2009
Just recently got off trichlor tabs after discovering high cya levels. Drained half the pool and refilled and started the BBB method. Here's my numbers:

FC 7
TC 7
Ph 7.6
TA 160
CH 190
CYA 37

It's a brand new fiberglass inground pool in a campground so it gets a lot of use and full sun all day. I keep the chlorine high, at least to 7 or higher each evening, after 20 or so kids swim. I am also using up the trichlor pucks in a feeder set on the lowest setting to bring up the CYA. Also have a lot of bags of Cal Hypo to bring up chlorine levels and CH. My question after reading all the posts and pool school is, My TA seems high but my Ph stays rock solid at 7.6, should I worry about this number. I know the trichlor puck will bring the ph down and this may be what keeps it balanced but should I be concerned if my pool is showing no symptoms? The only other problem I have seen is little brown rust looking spots, I tried the vitamin C test and it did nothing, scrubbing with a magic eraser helped a little, I did have a box cutter blade show up in the pump basket that was quite rusty, maybe in the intake line for about 2 months. Could the vitamin c tablet be too weak and would sequestrant take care of the problem.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice, soooo glad I found all of you.

Neil
17,800 gal. square inground

My TA seems high but my Ph stays rock solid at 7.6, should I worry about this number.
No.

If your pH is stable, disregard the TA.

Can't help with the spots. If the Vitamin C didn't reduce them, it's not rust.

I like the way your maintaining your FC. I'll bet your pool is very clear. Keep an eye on the brown spots and I would suggest doing nothing unless they grow larger.

Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.