Intermatic timer question

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
I have a T10404R timer box on my pump and polaris. Just after getting the pool the polaris timer went out. The pool guy replaced it. Now it's out again. I can still manually turn the polaris on and off.

So far, I've take the motor off the timer that doesn't work. On an ohmeter set to 20k, it measures about 7 when I put a lead on each of the wires. I did the same on the pool pump motor without taking it off and got the same reading. When I took the motor off the timer, the timer now moves freely but the motor gear doesn't turn when I try to spin it. I did not take the pump timer motor off for a comparison because that one has a good bit more wiring attached to it.

I exptected the ohmeter to read 0 on this thing, but it doesn't. Does it still seem likely that this is what's busted since it won't turn, but the timer mechanism itself will. It'd be nice to just replace this little motor instead of the whole shooting match, if possible.

thanks.

EDIT: When I say the motor won't turn I'm refering to the gear that is external to the motor. This is the one that connects to the timer wheel itself. I have discovered that the very first gear in the motor can be turned. It in turn, turns two others. Whether the gearing down process makes these other gears turn, but so slowly that I can't see, I don't know. Regardless, I can't make the gear that connects to the timer visibily turn.

Those timer motors are geared big time. You shouldn't be able to turn it by the end gear. You can hook the motor up and mark it to see if it turns but be ready for a very slow movement.

If you have determined that it's bad, there should be numbers stamped on it telling the voltage and speed. If you match the mounting, voltage, speed and pinion gear there's no reason you couldn't replace it.

Bama Rambler said:
Those timer motors are geared big time. You shouldn't be able to turn it by the end gear. You can hook the motor up and mark it to see if it turns but be ready for a very slow movement.

If you have determined that it's bad, there should be numbers stamped on it telling the voltage and speed. If you match the mounting, voltage, speed and pinion gear there's no reason you couldn't replace it.

that pretty well backs up my edited comments above. The thing is, I think it's bad but am not the most mechanical guy in the world. If the ohmeter had shown a 0 I wouldn't be blinking an eye. Since it wasn't 0, I halfway exptected the timer part to not turn freely once disconnected. I felt like maybe a twig or something had jammed it, but that isn't the case.

Undo two screws and it came right off after disconnecting it from the power source. It also gave the replacement part # on it.

An electrical engineer lives next door. He had no explanation for why it read the same as the other timer motor, didn't read a short, and didn't work. Very weird.

I'm going to reconnect it and see what happens. Seems like the only other option is to replace the whole thing to be safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.