Overnight jump in PH and TA

May 1, 2008
After a calm pool season we now have a new problem. I test every day and results have been good. Today all of a sudden The PH is off the charts and the Ta regesters about 130. No chems have been added in the last two days other than the 3 inch pucks in two skimmers. I regularly add 10 minutes of water 3 times a day (I tested this too, PH was 6.8). I do keep the chlorine up by adding liquid 12% on occasion. The water appears slighly cloudy but not terribly. Pump pressure is good and stable. As an aside, the weather has been hot and humid the last three days. How can this happen and what do I do about it? I read the pool school chapter but to me the cause is unclear. Do I start pouring acid in the pool?

JFPerrone said:
After a calm pool season we now have a new problem. I test every day and results have been good. Today all of a sudden The PH is off the charts and the Ta regesters about 130. No chems have been added in the last two days other than the 3 inch pucks in two skimmers. I regularly add 10 minutes of water 3 times a day (I tested this too, PH was 6.8). I do keep the chlorine up by adding liquid 12% on occasion. The water appears slighly cloudy but not terribly. Pump pressure is good and stable. As an aside, the weather has been hot and humid the last three days. How can this happen and what do I do about it? I read the pool school chapter but to me the cause is unclear. Do I start pouring acid in the pool?

Couple things - though not really anything that might solve "the mystery". Pucks shouldn't be kept in the skimmers unless the pump runs 24/7. Since they are acidic, when the pump is off the water in the skimmer becomes highly acidic and it can be damaging to the skimmer parts and also the pump, upon startup. Just an FYI.

If you measured the PH after adding alot of chlorine, that cause push up the PH. high FC can make the PH read a false-high, so if you caught a localized area of concentrated chlorine that might cause it to read funny....

I would wait at least 30-60 min after adding chems before testing anything, JIC that had anything to do with it. Where do you store your kit? It's really not clear what could cause it to jump like that.

Couple other things - your water should not be cloudy. YOu should do an overnight test and see if you have a 'nascent' algae bloom on your hands.

You are adding 10 minutes of water 3 times a day? Is the pool uncovered, and are you certain you don't have a leak? That seems like an awful lot of water....

If you have retested the PH and it's still high and this is not within 60 minutes of adding bleach and the FC is below 10, then yes, use Muratic Acid to lower the PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.